boat shopping advice

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

boat shopping advice

Postby Chincoteague » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:40 pm

I am looking at a couple of DS1s that are for sale within a few hours’ drive of my home. They are a 1966 O’Day and a 1983 Spindrift. I have not seen either boat in person but in the classified ad photos they appear to be in the condition I would expect of cared for leisure/family boats of their ages. Not bad and not racing trim. The 66 looks to have some blistering on the hull below WL. The 83 appears to have a pretty smooth hull maybe even shiny gelcoat (at least topside). From reading this forum I know a few of the differences between these vintages. But I am starting to confuse myself trying to cross-reference everything I am learning here as I think about these boats…
So I would really appreciate any advice on how to compare them and on important differences of which I may not be aware. I’m not worried about the things that I can gradually fix or change like finish, rigging, 1983 hull stripes, etc. I would really like to hear the forum’s expert advice on things like the pros and cons of wood rack floor vs molded floor above bilge; Oday lever CB vs the line operated(?) 83 CB, general quality of construction, and anything else that I don’t even know to ask about.
Thanks for any thoughts
Chincoteague

Re: boat shopping advice

Postby tomodda » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:14 pm

The Spindrift design is a DS2, I believe. Advantage: drier feet, can set up an autobailer, self recoverable on a capsize. Disadvantages : heavier, hidden areas to go wrong.

Personally, I'd get the 66. That's the year I myself was born, and I can assure you it's a fine vintage, holds up well, many miles left. All kidding aside, gelcoat blisters are quite fixable, just make sure the underlay is firm (dig around gently with a screwdriver, should be no give). Otherwise, simpler and lighter is better, just my opinion. 66s have the molded seat, greatly aiding selfrecovery.

Tom
tomodda

Postby Chincoteague » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:51 pm

Thanks Tom, I’m particularly interested in your comment “hidden areas to go wrong”. Can you explain a bit more on that.
The two boats I’m speaking of, although separated by seventeen years, are both DS1s. The Spindrift boats do have the cockpit molding that is seats and floor in one piece I think. Is the bilge under that the hidden area that you speak of? What goes wrong? Thanks.
David
Chincoteague

Postby jalmeida51 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:26 am

Hi David,
I just sold my Daysailer1 built by Rebel and it was a 1981. After Rebel went under Spindrift took over the building the Daysailer1. Spindrift made minor changes. Both had a liner that stiffed up the hull. On my boat there was only 1 drain plug that was for draining the liner not the bilge. The bilge was completely seal off. My boat did have wooden floor boards which is nice. It helps keeping your feet dry and things you might store in the cuddy. Some people do not like the liner due to the extra weight and not knowing if there is water in the bilge. I never had a problem with water in the bilge but I really don't know because of no drain plug. You could install a inspection plate in the liner to check for water in the bilge. I owned a 2005 Rhodes19 built by Stuart Marine and it had a liner and no way of checking on water in the bilge. I think you will find most newer boats are built with a liner.

I never had any problems with the wood being rotten or the deck flexing or the other problems on the older boats. I did have to install a stainless steel plate under the cuddy to back up the bolts that secured the mast hinge. (tabernacle ) I sailed the boat year round for about 4 years and no major problems.

If I was going to buy another Daysailer would be a newer model. Like 90's on up. I like to sail not work on them and you will never get much of your money back when you sell. Good luck, John
jalmeida51

Postby tomodda » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:25 pm

David:

My “hidden areas to go wrong” are what John writes about:

jalmeida51 wrote:Some people do not like the liner due to the extra weight and not knowing if there is water in the bilge.

It's just one more thing that goes BUMP in the middle of the night.. what's going on in there? Standing water in hidden places does some damage over time. If you do get the Spindrift, maybe install an inspection port.

John:

jalmeida51 wrote:I like to sail not work on them

I hear you, but tinkering is half the fun! I call winter, aka "boatshed time," my second season. Although since my buddy sold his barn, I gotta find a new place to do my paintwork. Maybe clean out my own garage? Gawd forbid....
tomodda

Postby Chincoteague » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:10 pm

Yes, I understand that very well. It’s the way I feel about the crawl space of my house. I would prefer a basement I can stand in or a slab on grade. But back to boats...
Thanks both for your thoughts. I’m a bit confused about the whole DS1 DS2 category distinction. I was thinking it mainly came down to wide open cuddy vs bulkhead with hatch. I know there were a lot of other smaller changes from year to year and one manufacturer to next, but isn’t that the biggee? If so, how does the new run of CCS boats fall in the DS1 category? Also, is it fair to say that owners of the early O’Day boats on the forum mean only pre’72 when they say DS1? Sorry if I’m rehashing something already discussed elsewhere in the forum.
Chincoteague

Postby tomodda » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:02 pm

No problem, it get's confusing! As far as I know:

1) DS1's have the totally open cuddy and open bilges. The bottom of the boat is the hull itself, although there may be floorboards above it. Very early (pre 1960?) boats have wood bench seats, very little built in flotation (foam), and are not self recovering. Later DS1's have molded seats with more flotation in them.

2) DS2's have the closed cuddy, the molded seats, but also have a molded floor above the bilge. So you're standing on the molded (flat) floor, but the actual hull is a few inches under that and there's a void. Hopefully empty of water, so extra flotation in just the right place and the boat IS self recoverable. Higher floor also means you can install an autobailer (one more thing to break, IMHO, but to each his own). Anyway, DS2's started in 1972, I believe.

3) Let us not speak of DS3's. They are not class legal anyhow.

4) The CCS boats try to combine "best of both worlds." Molded floor but also open cuddy. Thanks to the cuddy design, it's a DS1(ish). But the added wieght of the floor makes the racing set cringe, hence the distinction about "pre1972 DS1."

Overall, get the boat that's gonna make you happy! Get out there and sail.

Hope this helps!

Tom
tomodda

Postby Chincoteague » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:22 pm

Tomodda wrote:Overall, get the boat that's gonna make you happy!

Boats generally make me happy. We’ll see about this one.

It may make you happy, Tom, that I did pick your vintage of 1966. And not just because of your DOB. I like to be able to see inside things. To be able to take things all the way apart for repair. So the single hull is more my style. I like to fix things and this forum gives me confidence, so I’m not worried yet about repairs. Early days but happy so far.
I will have a lot of questions in coming weeks and months. I have a mental list of them now. But I will sort them into discrete subjects so that they might create more useful threads.

Now I must go over to the DSA site and join up to support the group that supports this forum!
Chincoteague

Postby tomodda » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:55 am

Congratulations! And yes, I'm happy you grabbed the DS1. Ask away with your questions.

And you wont regret joining the DSA. Mary N., the Assoc. Secretary, is a joy to work with; the quarterly magazine is great; and you're supporting a great community. You've also reminded me to check if I've sent my dues this year.. man, the year went by fast!

Best regards,

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:57 pm

The year did go by fast.

Go out an support the DSA. And mention that you are a user of this forum!

Single hull boats are eminently repairable.

Could have used a "like" button for all three.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only