1967 DS1 flotation tank tuneup--drain plug sizes?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

1967 DS1 flotation tank tuneup--drain plug sizes?

Postby PapaPiranha » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:57 pm

New here, grateful for this amazing resource. Our boat lives in a yard on a barrier island (NC) far from my St. Louis home, only see it for a couple weeks every 2 years, and about to return next weekend and need to get parts before driving out. Foam is totally waterlogged and plugs are worn out, so planning to replace plugs and hopefully install inspection ports to replace the foam. So...

Am I correct in guessing that the drain plugs for the seats/benches/flotation tanks are 3/4 inch? Hard to tell from my pics but someone had suggested threaded plumbing plugs from Home Depot, which I picked up (both pvc and brass--the idea seems fishy to me but can't source stock parts). But maybe they're 1 inch? First pic

Also need the drain plug in the keelson, forward of the centerboard, port side, though to my eyes it looks bigger. Second pic.

Less important but: I'm also planning to install 6 inch inspection ports, assuming basic Amazon model would be ok vs nicer Beckson etc., but happy to be corrected. While I'm at it, if anyone knows of a good source for noodles (or other flotation via mail order) for less than the $2/each I'm seeing on Amazon I'd love to know it.

Thanks to those who've posted before, and in advance for any help here.

@IMG_0163 red.jpg
@IMG_0163 red.jpg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 3310 times

@IMG_0164 red.jpg
@IMG_0164 red.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
PapaPiranha

Re: 1967 DS1 flotation tank tuneup--drain plug sizes?

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:45 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The "stock parts" for my vintage DS are - wait for it - cork plugs. Those don't really do anything.

Basically anything that produces a decent seal would be fine. Now, these original DS1 seats are like closed tanks. So air in them pressurizes when it gets hot. (I could hear air escape past the corks when anyone sat down). I was worried enough about that that I used something that blocks most of the hole but isn't air tight. The idea is that, yes, the tank may fill (slowly) but there's no risk of it popping a seam in the sun.

I just went and took a photo with a tape measure as reference. The cap I put on is 1" diameter, but I think it's a bit less on the inside, but my guess would be 7/8" rather than 3/4". But I didn't try to prize off the cap.

For the deck plates, I've know "Sea Dog" makes some, and I've used parts from them before (can't swear to deck plates). (Where I try to be selective is which online or local outlet I get them from. Just the idea to keep as many marine or even DS specific suppliers afloat.)

I found that I could not get any exact replacements for the drain plug in the transom. I ended up getting a range of sizes of rubber plugs and sanded one of them to fit with the original handle. That one I could measure (roughly with a tape measure) and it looks like 7/8".

I don't have any good idea for pool noodles. Some people report having had luck with pre-season or end of season sales.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby PapaPiranha » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:33 pm

Many thanks, GreenLake--this is very helpful. Corks--ha! Looks like I'll want to wait until I'm there and see what I've got. I might try to carve something out of an old crab pot buoy or something, but the air expansion issue I'd not thought about. Gets really hot there and makes sense to not want it totally airtight, so it shouldn't be too hard to fashion something good enough, and with that in mind maybe my old plugs are good enough.

Appreciate your point about supporting smaller operations and have really liked DR Marine, which has been terrific on DS parts (but alas didn't have these plugs). Having less than two weeks with the boat puts fast shipping at a premium, but the A-beast is not the only fast shipper so hopefully I can avoid it. Will look into Sea Dogs.

From earlier threads it looks like people have had success drilling the transom and adding a drain plug to these, so I might try that but a little nervous about breaching the hull. Sitting outside for 2 years at a stretch it can be hard to keep water out, never know if I'll find a swamp in there when I pull the cover. Last time it seemed dry, but a cooler was completely full of crystal clear water--no idea how that happened, only other evidence a bathtub ring. (New cover on the way.)
PapaPiranha

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:25 am

I hear you on the issues w/ unattended outside storage. I had mine slip off the support for the trailer tongue and that meant it wasn't draining in the back, but had a nice lake filling the front tank. On a DS1 of that vintage drilling the transom should not be that difficult. There may be a 1x4 wood reinforcement for the gudgeon bolts. You may need to make sure to seal that properly (if you don't decide to replace first (all or in part). And glass it back in.

Otherwise, unlike the double hulled DS2, this should not present too many problems.

Good luck!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby simoneis » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:27 pm

On my DS1 I used 1" diameter flip-lock plugs from West Marine. By spinning the handle,you can compress the plug and alter the diameter a bit to get a good fit.

Incidentally, when my centerboard fell off (!) I was able to compress the forward bulkhead plug enough to stop the hole in the CB locker where the lever had been. I think I'll try adding lock washers next time.
simoneis

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:01 pm

@simoneis. Welcome to the forum!

Those flip lock plugs are great, if the transom hole accommodates them. I'm not sure that all model years had that drain as original equipment and/or whether all model years had the same diameter. Mine is nearly sixty years old, and I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a small shift in standard diameter for these transom drains. Hard to know for sure, but if the plug fits, they are great.

I love the way you mention losing your CB in passing :) You seem to have had quite the adventure! Looking forward to hearing more of your war stories!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JimTan » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:52 am

I wonder if I take the drain out and fiberglass it. Make the boat has no through hole.
Make it a watertight compartment with access port to dry it if water gets in?
JimTan

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:22 pm

Having no through hull means it cannot fail while you are on the water. However, for a DS1 where this is accessible from inside the boat, it is an unnecessary precaution. These plugs don't tend to randomly fail and if you are worried you can always bring a wooden bung of the proper diameter so you can plug any leaks underway.

For a boat with a double hull the drain between the hulls is needed or you can be stuck not being able to pull your boat out of the water if something leaked between the hulls (it can be too heavy unless you can drain it positively).

There's a risk that the plug can fail under way and you not be able to get at it. I think that risk is low.

For a cockpit drain, some boats may have a drain tube that connects outer and inner hull, even if it ends up visible from the cockpit there's a chance a leak could develop and water end up between the hulls. Not sure whether that's how double hulled DSs are set up and how much of a risk that is. Even here, a bung would help, but it would need to be pushed in from the outside in.

Finally, any double-hulled boat needs a way to bail the space between the hulls if you plan any extensive excursions.

PS: I'm not sure what opinion I should have on self-bailers if used on an expedition. Risk vs. benefit. I've been on a boat that shipped steady water from the CB and had to be bailed manually (no self-bailer available) at intervals. A self-bailer would have been convenient, but also would have added a risk of failure underway.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only