mounting an outboard motor

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

mounting an outboard motor

Postby BobRichardson » Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:17 pm

On my 1966 DS I I will be mounting a 2 hp outboard. Pretty small - about the size of a chain saw :)
The boat has a well on the stern that I have seen referred to as a motor well. It looks more like stowage to me. Has anyone mounted an outboard there?
If we elect to use a fitting or motor mount on the stern, does anyone have advise as to what kind?
Many thanks,
Bob
BobRichardson

Re: mounting an outboard motor

Postby GreenLake » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:43 pm

Most of the motor discussions are in the "miscellaneous" section (even though the well is, of course, DS1-specific). Make sure to look there as well.

I'm using a 0.3HP equivalent electric and that one moves the boat quite fine when there's no wind; I mount it with the clamp on the wall of the well. Can't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to mount a 2HP there as well. Just check the separation between rudder and propeller. However, I think it's the electrics that are the most problematic in that regard, as the propellers tend to be larger diameter for efficiency reasons....

Mechanically, I didn't fully trust the clamp. On a previous motor, it had two metal disks that were screwed separately against the support. I glued a strip of plywood across both to reduce the chance for hard spots. For the current motor, I'm using two pieces of plywood taped together so I can drape them like a U across the top of the wall before lowering the clamp on top.

One advantage of that is that the outside of the transom wasn't fully flat, but had a piece of trim run along the top edge. With the plywood added I now have a flat surface for the clamp to hold onto. As designed this plywood padding is removable. I see no reason for a permanent addition to the transom or inside wall of the motor well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only