Center Board and handle replacement

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Center Board and handle replacement

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 13, 1998 1:00 am

I purchased a 1983 Spindrift DSI this summmer and decided to replace the center board and handle assembly. The new handle assembly came with a large stud that is pressed into the end of the square shaft that goes through the center board, however the center board trunk doesn't have any openings for the stud. I was wondering if any other manufacturer has a bushing of some sort that is molded into the center board trunk, or has anyone adapted the trunk with some sort of hat bushing to accept the stud that is pressed into the handle.

Doug Doughty (ddoughty-at-sprynet.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 04, 2000 12:00 am

I just recieved a replacement handle from Cape Cod Shipbuilding. The handle appears to be heavier duty than the original handle which was broken and missing when I purchased my DS 1. The replacement handle has the same pressed in bushing you reffered to. I simply pulled the bushing out and cut an extra 1/4" from the square stock that fits into the centerboard.

Tom B (tbeck-at-famvid.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only