DS 1 vs. DS 2

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS 1 vs. DS 2

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 29, 1999 1:00 am

OK. I have a DS1 that I bought last year, 1st. ever boat. What a treat, I shouda done this 25 yrs ago. Anyhow, I love the wood coamings, floorboards, open cuddy and character of this boat. I am considering mooring it this season and am concerned about not being able to have some sort of drain above the water line in the event of rain. So I have been considering a DS2 w/ raised floors and a simple, but useful stern drain plug, albeit a closed cuddy. Any feelings? Am I being too practical in a willingness to sacrifice such a nice vintage look and feel for a modern convenience. It seems that the raised floor would not be as comfortable as the deeper floors w/ boards. Any comments for a cold winter night's discussion appreciated.

Fred Menschel (FRED-at-ROADWORKSAUTO.COM)

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 30, 1999 1:00 am

Go to http://www.beanbag.com/sailor/mainst.htm (the Sailer's Taylor web site) and check out a good cover.

You don't say how long you would (have to) be leaving your boat unattended. The longer you do the more you would need total protection.

A mooring cover (which covers the whole boat, including the stern) will keep 99% of water and windborne debris out of the boat but is harder to put on.

A cockpit cover (which covers the cockpit & cuddy cabin top) will keep less water out. You will find about a 1 - 2 gallons of water in the boat after a day of very heavy rain.

I have a full cover but don't moor. For the one to two weeks I do I don't cover the boat as I can bail it out daily.

Keith A. Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only