1982 Spindrift DSI

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

1982 Spindrift DSI

Postby Guest » Sat May 08, 1999 12:00 am

I am looking to purchase a mint condition 82 DSI manufactured by Spindrift. Were the Spindrift models as well made as the O'Days? Are they accepted as true Daysailers or are they considered as copies? Any info on this would be most appreciated.

Tim Otis (tim-at-otis.mv.com)

Postby Guest » Mon May 10, 1999 12:00 am

Tim,

The Spindrift DS1's are very much class legal and competitive. In fact, the '93 National Champion sailed in a Spindrift. They are constructed differently in that they have a balsa core between 2 layers of fiberglass. This makes their hulls very stiff (a good thing for racing especially as the winds increase and the water gets rougher), but the tradeoff is that it also makes them about 25 pounds heavier than the lightest O'Day DS1's (a bad thing on those light wind days).

I own an '84 Spindrift and am very happy w/ the quality of the boat. Let me know and I can answer any other specific questions you might have...

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:34 am

Please help.. just bought a Spindrift... Its been hard to find any info on this boat.. I have a few questions concerning how to rig... If you have one please reply.. thanks 06/29/01

JERRY REYNOLDS (golffanaugusta-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 02, 2001 10:14 am

Take a look at the Spindrift layout in the photo sent in by Gus Heismann in the Photo Section http://www.boonedocks.net/daysailer/pho ... pit_lg.gif

Steve Schriber
DS 11851 (Spindrift)

Steve Schriber (sschriber-at-spa.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:49 pm

I just purchased a '82 Spindrift DS1. There is a crack in the deck where the tabernacle is. Two 3/4" pieces of teak were sandwiched between the stainless hinge under the tabernacle and the support that goes between the keel and the deck. This seems strong enough but is it the correct way to make this repair.
Where can I get a manual for this boat.

John Porcheddu (jporchsr-at-verizon.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only