Spindrift DS I

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spindrift DS I

Postby Dick36 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:52 am

Are the Spindrift DS1s considered good candidates to upgrade for racing? Do the Spindrift built boats have a flat floor and a inspection port in the floor also do they have a different type centerboard handle than the Oday built DSIs ?
Dick36

Postby Bob Damon » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:21 pm

In general the Spindrift boats were heavy and have a double hull but with minimal space between the hulls. They have a tendancy to take on water between the hulls that over time will make the boat heavier. Generally they are not sought after by competitive sailors however Bob Hunkins has done relatively well with his and would be the best resource for questions.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Spindrift DS I

Postby Dick36 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:39 pm

Is water absorption a problem in a boat that has ben dry stored ?
I wonder in general about how much heavier they were when they rolled out of the factory.
Dick36

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:03 pm

No one is sure why but the boat takes on water between the hulls while being sailed. There is a drain for this area but while you are sailing the boat will get progressively heavier. Another issue is there is a space between the inner hull and the top deck so if the boat capsizes water fills the spaces between the liner and hull making the boat very heavy and difficult to right.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby Bob Hunkins » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:49 pm

My solution to the water problem is I put an inspection port in the bow tank forward under the cuddy.

Every so often I check it so see if there is any water there and I sponge it out. Surprise doesn't take on too much. I also have two inspection ports in the seat recesses that I put there when I installed my mid boom traveller, which I look into occasionally. I think any water that gets in there will go forward when the trailer nose is lowered as far as possible.

Whenever I trailer the boat somewhere I try to open these ports to help dry out the interior. When I went to California this last summer for nationals, the boat had lost a considerable bit of weight from being dried out in the desert. I'm sureit has gained it back due to being sailed, and the humid environment here at home.

When I keep her in storage for a long time and don't use her, I also open the inspection ports to allow moisture to evaporate more readily.

In general the Spindrift boats are inferior for racing to the ODay's and Mclaughlin, and Rebels, but they can still be used, in my opinion. It depends on the conditions you sail in, how competitive you want to be, etc. The usual sailing things.

Every class probably has these kinds of problems. The J/22s for instance have boats whose keels are not as far forward as they ought to be so they actually build the keel up on the leading edge and grind it away on the trailing edge. Now that's expensive.

I capcised this boat once, a while ago, and she did take on water between the hulls and liner. Since then, I've added flotation to the inside using pool noodles. I don't know how she would react to being capcised again, but I expect there are some ways for water to get inside. I still need to investigate how to find any leaks.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby LayneH » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:03 pm

However old these posts are, thank you, they are things I was also wondering about. I have recently purchased a 1984 Spindrift DS1, and wondered the same about possible racing.

Thanks,

Layneh
LayneH

Return to Day Sailer I Only