DS 1 restoration project, part II

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS 1 restoration project, part II

Postby MAXUM » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:59 am

I posted last fall the story of my 1970 daysailer I, and the first stages of my restoration of this boat. Welp as of last fall I was able to complete the restoration of the hull, trailer and some minor fiberglass repair work to the interior of the boat. Then she was laid up for the winter, during that time I slowly was able to re-work all the interior woodwork, fix the main rigging on the mast and get everything other than the hull ready to go for final assembly this spring. Three weeks ago I pulled the boat back to my house and finished up the project. Needless to say going into this I had no idea just how it would turn out or how difficult it would be. I've never attempted a project like this before, but lots of reading, time and patience paid off big time and I'm thrilled at the results. I've updated my photo gallery with the boat finally completely re-assembled.

See updated pix here:
gallery/search.php?user_id=258

Only pieces I have left to do is making a new boom-tent cover (already underway), wait for my new sails to arrive in the mail and finally get her regestered.

Now that I have a final talley on everything, all in all I think for the money I can't complain.

Trailer restoration: $297.00 (pretty much a complete rebuild)
Boat restoration: $1945.00 (including new sails and rigging)
Labor: FREE

This does not include the cost of making a new boom-tent cover since we are still trying to figure out the best material to use... although I'm estimating that using the sunbrella fabric it'll cost about $125.00 in materials.
John
Hooksett, NH
1970 O'Day Daysailer 1
2003 Sea Ray 185BR
MAXUM

Postby Mike M. » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:57 am

She's beautiful! You've done a great job. It's amazing what a little persistence, patience, and paint can do.
Mike Miller
DS I #3780
"Patty K"
Central Oklahoma
Mike M.

Postby oldnellie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:33 pm

:D absolutely looks better than new......fantastic job!!!
oldnellie

Postby Felix Graham-Jones » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:00 pm

Wonderful! Congratulations on a job well done. A really sharp looking DS - now go and sail the bejeebers out of it, and have some fun.
Fair winds Felix
Felix Graham-Jones

Postby MAXUM » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:01 am

Funny thing I've never sailed this boat before. As a kid I'd go out on it all the time with my Dad, but the only thing I ever got to do was be the first mate and control the jib. Needless to say this summer my Dad and I will take her out, but this time I'll get to take the helm.
John
Hooksett, NH
1970 O'Day Daysailer 1
2003 Sea Ray 185BR
MAXUM

Postby MAXUM » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:02 pm

What your looking at is 100% stock. No mods have been done. The jib camcleats are mounted in form fitted angled areas built in to the top of the centerboard housing which like you I think is a very good place for them. The prior owner of your boat probaly modifed this setup to eliminate the job sheets crossing over the cockpit area making it something to trip over if you need to grab something out of the cuddy. I much prefer the location of mine to be honest.

Yeah you got to have all the wood, it really gives the boat some character. The floorboards in this boat were so bad when I started that I was not sure they could be salvaged. All the finish was off of them and the wood was all sun faded grey with a few areas of dry rot. LOTS of hours were spend getting them all repaired and refinished, especailly getting the coloring restored to it's original glory.

Good to hear from my old stomping grounds, used to live in the Springs (Briargate area) till 1999 when I re-located to NH. I've spent countless hours down in Pueblo with my powerboat, which to this day I still proudly own.
John
Hooksett, NH
1970 O'Day Daysailer 1
2003 Sea Ray 185BR
MAXUM

Return to Day Sailer I Only