Tanks Full

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tanks Full

Postby Laura » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 pm

Other than leaving the plugs out for weeks on end (assuming no rain), what can I do to dry out my bench tanks? The screws that were supposed to be holding my thwarts to the benches were apparently not stainless. All of the moisture in my tanks must have rotted them. The bottoms of the screws were completely misshaped! How can I these dry?
Laura

drying your tanks

Postby Roger » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:29 am

I used a small fan to get air moving through the bilge to dry mine out. The face was about the same size as the hole. This worked well for the bilge by leaving the other hole open but I did cover the whole boat with a tarp leaving the fan on overnight. Not sure if this will work with the bench tanks as there is only one hole. Perhaps a vacuum cleaner on 'blow' will move a lot of air through in a short period of time. I think most hardware stores may carry a product to absorb moisture in basements. It might be some type of sodium cloride. Placed in a cotton bag inside the bench tank may absorb residual moisture, before you seal it up again. Just some thoughts...
Roger

full tanks

Postby Laura » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:41 am

Thanks, Roger. I think the hole is too small to get any kind of air in there....but I'm going to look into the sodium chloride. Appreciate your help!
Laura

Tanks full

Postby rnlivingston » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:36 am

On one of my old Daysailers, I installed some 6 inch ports on the seats. I would leave these open when not using the boat and the seats dried out fairly fast. It also allowed me to replace some of the foam.

Hope this helps.

Another Roger
rnlivingston

ports

Postby Laura » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:32 am

Hi Roger (L),
Pardon my ignorance....what do you mean by ports? How did you go about installing them?
-Laura :)
Laura

ports

Postby captainseasick » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi Laura,
If you need to cut access holes in your boat to gain entry to places where you normally can't get your hands or fit tools, boating stores sell plastic port holes or hatches that allow you to cut a hole, remove a 4" or larger section, and replace it with a plastic assembly that has a nice finished appearance to the place where you cut the fiberglass. You can use a hole cutter, or drill a small hole and use a keyhole saw to make the cut, after marking out the inside diameter of the port flange. this part fits into the hole, and covers the rough cut, and accepts a screw in hatch cover
They are sturdy, water tight, and inexpensive (about $7.00)
I hope this answers your question
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby calden » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:13 pm

Laura:

Go to the "Photos" section of this forum, then to the "Users Personal Galleries" then to Phill's gallery. At the bottom of page one in the center is a nice shot of an installed inspection port at the fore end of the bench seat.

I''m rather new to this sailing stuff and pestered people here with lots of questions for several months, because these terms are really interesting. Inspection port? Barber hauler? Halyards? Jibs? I feel your confusion.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Images

Postby boone » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:05 am

Just as a reminder, you can include images from the galleries in your posts (whether they are your pictures or someone else's):

[thumb=88]

See this post for details.
Anhinga, DS 5702
boone
Site Admin

Postby calden » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:49 am

Thanks. I couldn't recall how to do that - makes the point much better, doesn't it?

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

here's another picture related to the DS II

Postby Roger » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:22 am

I have used a dremmel tool or a jig saw to cut the holes. Use the screw in lid as the template for cutting out the hole. This particular hole was made to attache a traveller to the seat tops.

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=123

There are four pages of pictures on this site.
Roger

Tanks Full

Postby jpclowes » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:14 am

If there is a lot of moisture in the tanks, the foam inside may not dry. I actually replaced all the old foam in my tanks with those pool noodles. Each of the seat tanks took somewhere around 10-15. The foam in there was waterlogged, and never would have dried. Each block was probably about the same size as a 2X4, and a six inch long block probably weighed as much as a brick. Also, the foam itself was dry to the touch, but was soaked through. If you look around, you can get pool noodles for as little as about $1.25 or so, a relatively inexpensive fix. The pool noodles are closed cell foam, and shouldn't waterlog. I have also heard of people using 2 liter soda bottles for flotation, but haven't tried it myself.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Tanks Full

Postby Laura » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:07 am

Thanks, guys!
This is such a great forum. I'll have to print out all the notes. I had no idea one could modify the fiberglass and not worry about it structurally. I also never would have thought to use noodles in the tanks--I usually see them at Christmas Tree Shops this time of year--will check for them.
I hope I can get to all of my projects and still get the boat in on time!
My original goal was to refinish the coaming and paint the cockpit, then get it in and start sailing.....but I guess the tanks should be fixed and a fresh coat of anti-fouling paint......I really just want to get on the water and sail!
-Laura :)
Laura

Floatation

Postby Daniel Westfall » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:29 pm

I saw an article some time ago about using peanuts that are used for protection when sending packages via FED EX or UPS. I bought two big bags (14 cubic feet each). Someone suggested that I use panty hose (cheap ones) and cut the legs out and fill them with the peanuts and stuff them in the positive floation compartments. Since the hose can be compressed you can pretty much fill the entire compartment (seats and bow) and they will be easy to pull out for drying or inspection. The peanuts do not seem to absorb water as I put them under water over night and the did not soak up water. The hose keep the floation from flowing out if you breach the hull. I will be doing this in the next two weeks and will let you know how well it does.
Just a thought
Sea Dragon
Daniel Westfall

Postby EberbachD » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Just be sure that they are not the environmentally correct Corn Starch - "dissolve in water" type of packing peanut. That would be quite a mess. Good use for the old styrofoam type, though.
David
DS II #10445
Grinnell, Iowa
EberbachD

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Daniel, I just removed all the foam peanuts from my tanks (previous owner installed). These had been in the tanks for probably a decade and had gone lethal with mildew. It seems the peanuts multiply the area that the spores attach themselves. Also, I don't place much value on the floation peanuts provide.

I'm going to invest in a buoyancy bag (APS) for my aft tank, and probably the inflateable tubes (WM) for the gunwhale tanks. Until then, I'm going to try hard not to capsize, which is what I do anyway.

Peter
Peter McMinn

Next

Return to Day Sailer I Only