Tanks Full

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby calden » Sat May 20, 2006 11:03 am

Peter:

What did you do about buoyancy bags? I'd be concerned that there might be some sharp, edgy pieces of fiberglass in the seat interiors.

I'm putting in inspection ports to check/replace the flotation foam, and am looking at options.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Peter McMinn » Sat May 20, 2006 11:23 am

Havn't done a thing yet. I did think of the various "thorns" sticking through under there. When I do get around to getting a bag, I'll reach in my trusty dig. camera and take a few snaps to know where the points are. Then, I'll have to secure some sort of moisture resistent padding around the screw/bolt tips. Thinking epoxy puddy.
Peter McMinn

Postby mfeldman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:23 pm

I installed 6" ports using a Rotozip tool. They have a hole cutting jig ("circle guide") and a fiberglass cutting bit that worked perfectly. All can be purchased at HomeDepot. I replaced the foam bricks with pool noodles and had a great time walking through WalMart with their entire stock in my shopping cart.

-Mike
mfeldman

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:41 pm

Ah, yesss. Noodles! That would do the trick, too. How much product did you buy at aprox. what price?

Peter
Peter McMinn

Postby calden » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:41 pm

Hey all:

I did the port thing a few weeks ago. Used a circle cutter on my dremel, cost about $20 but did the trick. Use a dust mask!!!

THe screws I bought were a little long and thus stick into the interior space. Ouchy.

Another thing to watch for - I noticed on the first seat bench port housing installation that the housing wasn't totally flush with the fiberglass, so on the second one I used a couple of spring clamps to put in on while the silicone caulk set up. Instead of bringing the fiberglass up to the housing, though, it slightly warped the housing, and now on the port port (I loved saying that) it's slightly hard to screw in. I'd advocated letting the silicone caulk (use lots and lots, and clean up the mess) fill gaps instead of trying to make the housing flush.

I pulled out the foam to find that fully half of it was internally wet and weighed like a 2x4,
[thumb=297]
so I decided to go the noodle route, and maybe use some of the foam when it dries, as well as 2-litre bottles. The more the better, I think, in case of capsizing in hopes of keeping it high enough to bail out and continue on.

I started checking local prices for pool noodles. Dismayed at the $2.99 each price, I checked the internet and found the same. So while driving to West Marine for something else (don't we always find a reason to go to West Marine?) I stopped by K-Mart just to check, and found them on sale fo $.99. Woo-hoo. I walked out with 50 of the buggers.

I'd call around and see who might be having a sale. I found that Pool World and Water Sport type places might have better quality and slightly bigger product, but they won't go very low on the price. I'd look at the K-mart and Target type stores. I just happened to hit it on a sale day.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby jpclowes » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:54 am

I found most of the pool noodles I used in my seat tanks at Dollar General. Don't count out Dollar stores. I've seen them at some of the bigger grocery stores and pharmacies (like Walgreens) too.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby mfeldman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:14 am

WalMart had noodles for about $1.29 and Ocean State Job Lot -- a Rhode sland based discount chain -- had them similarly priced. I had to make several purchases; the volume under the benches is surprisingly large but 50 sounds about right. Not being an expert on the buoyancy characteristics of noodles I stuffed in as many as would fit.
mfeldman

Postby calden » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:42 am

Yeah, I was also unsure how many to use - so I just stuffed 'em in the seats and front section. I also folded up a bunch and put them in the storage area above the bow section. I'm also going to bring a few more along for behind the seats (just wedge them in) and to bungee on the gunwales for hiking out. I've got about 20 left over. Hmmmm... maybe I started out with more than 50! I'll count how many i put in and report back.

However, there is NO pool noodle color that goes well with the teal/white of my boat!!

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby nevinm » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:00 pm

Does anyone know the specific buoyancy of pool noodles?
nevinm

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only