Numbers

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Numbers

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 21, 1999 12:00 am

I have a '68 DS I. Please help me out with hull #, class #, sail # and the numbers on the hull. Are they all related. Thanks, Hill Gallagher

Hill gallagher (eastpoint-at-capecod.net)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Jul 22, 1999 12:00 am

Hill,
Check out the notes under the history category That should answer your questions.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 26, 1999 12:00 am

I have an old daysailor one and I am at a loss trying to identify the hull number. The boat has mahogany seats, coamings, and rudder(the top half). The mast is tapered, there is a bronze handle for the centerboard. I estimate it must have been born between 1957 and 1960. It has open-celled foam behind the seats and in the bow. It has light blue topsides and a white hull. I am not sure of the waterline stripe as it has been painted about 50 times. She has chrome covered bronze spring loaded jam cleats for the jib(K600 and k601 for numbers stamped in the back.).
Keel stepped mast. Mahogony boom crutch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. E

Eric J. Nelson (daysailor17-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 27, 1999 12:00 am

Eric,

You certainly do have one of the 1st gen DS1's, and I think you're right on the years ('57-'60). I'm pretty sure the '61 model had the fiberglass seats and other changes that George O'Day made to the original design. I looked at buying one just like yours about a year ago. I looked all over the boat and could never find any numbers that might help me identify it. I eventually bought a different boat, and later, I seem to recall someone telling me that the plank seat boats had an I.D. plate under one of the seats. Not sure if he said on the seat itself or the side of the boat, but if you haven't looked there, it's worth a shot. I never looked at that old boat again so I have no idea if this is right....

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791 (a Spindrift DS1)

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 09, 1999 12:00 am

I just bought a 1959 Day Sailer with plank seats, a tapered mast, and bronze triangle traveller fittings on the transom, although I now have a mid-boom traveller. My hull and class numbers are stamped in a brass plaque on the mahogany taffrail. Apparently a good many of the early boats have had the original coaming and taffrails replaced, thus losing their brass plaques. My boat has no other numbers affixed, so I intend to hold onto that little brass plaque for dear life....

Gene (wgbryant-at-flash.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 02, 2000 12:00 am

I recently went sailing for the first time. I noticed that the sails I have, which are very tired, have an original Oday logo sewn on, and the number reads 511. Could this be an accurate number, or are these used sails one of the former owners replaced the originals with? Does anyone know if 511 is already assigned?

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 05, 2000 12:00 am

If your boat is around a '58 or '59 then I'd say 511 is about right. I think most (if not all) of the 3-digit boats were gen 1 boats w/ the wood plnnk seats and flotation tanks in the sides of the boat. If you have the molded fiberglass seats I'd say the sails did not come w/ the boat. In the plank seat boats I was told there is a I.D. plate and I think it was on the bottom of the seat planks, but I'm not sure. The only one I've seen didn't have one anywhere and I suspect it's seats had been replaced and the original I.D. plate was discarded...

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only