Jumper Shrouds

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Stuff

Postby KaiB » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:03 am

Phill,

Not boasting if its fact.

This all goes to prove that some salty sailors lurk throughout the ranks of our DS crew.

Up to a point, its the rig...after that its the wind in the sails and the man on the tiller.

Thanks, Kai
KaiB

rig tension

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:31 pm

Phill,
You may have noticed my jib tensioning set-up at the Mem Day Regatta. It's simply a block on the halyard attached to a 2:1 in-haul, cleated on top of the CB trunk. I have the tapered Ballenger rig and with my Jotz sails, it does pull the mast forward--kinda. Jim Skeen mentioned the Ballenger isn't a "spagetti" mast, but it should respond to tensioning.

Here's my own question on this topic: by pulling the upper mast forward via the jib, what exactly is achieved either upwind or down (assuming 7-10knts)? I see a slight difference in the luffs of both main and jib, but how is this helpful?
Peter McMinn

Jib Luff control systems.

Postby Phill » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:28 pm

Peter, You ask a good question that gets very involved.
So that we dont hijack this thread, I will start another and post the answer there.

please see "jib luff control systems"

thanks phill
Phill

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:13 pm

I recall some old timer (since deceased) mentioning to me years ago when owners started removing the jumper stays, the O'Day company was worried about the masts breaking up there. Seems silly once you think about it and realize that letting the mast bend aloft is a good thing for handling gusts. Given the relatively small amount of sail area up there it's not likely to break above the spreaders. It's far more likely the boat will capcise or broach to such conditions, assuming you even go sailing in extreme conditions. I know I wouldn't, unless I was under extreme moral pressure. :)
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only