crutch and traveller pics

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

crutch and traveller pics

Postby dsheer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:47 pm

In light of discussions about crutches and travelers I am posting some pics.

Jamm Session and its primary tow vehicle. Proof an SUV is not needed.

Close up of the aft mast crutch. High enough to clear the afterdeck 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts and locknuts for the pinions. Pressure treated 2x4.

The forward mast crutch. The ball end bungees work very well to keep the stay and shrouds tight. High enough and aft enough not to interfere with opening the hatch of a Dodge Caravan.

The bungee for the tiller keeper is attached to 3" cleats screwed into the carlin under the afterdeck. Note the line fore and aft amidships to support the tarp.

The jam cleat for the tiller keeper. Lifting the bungee over the tapered end (which faces forward) is enough in light air, looping over the aft tail of the cleat makes it secure.

A slightly modified version of the traveller on Lollipop. I use a simple cleat which also serves as a fairlead. Cheap and effective. Also the cleat serves for a line run forward to the halyard cleats to support the tarp.

What I believe is an original mast crutch. All of Jamm Session's wood seems to be original. The coamings were never cut. There is no paint topsides. It is, in all fairness, a lousy design for a crutch because it limits the movement of the tiller. It was used as a boom crutch by the previous owner, and a lousy boom crutch it is too. Same reason. I will continue to use it only till I put on a topping lift.

Enjoy

Dan
dsheer

Crutch

Postby KaiB » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:33 am

Great photos Dan...

The Admiral has the camera, I'll post photos when I get it.

Our (on board) crutch is an actual paddle cut to about 4', has an O'Day decal and a let in metal slot which fits a screw in the aft combing directly above the hull mounted resting plate.

The boom rests on top of it between two screwed on metal half "U's".

I agree that these are only stationary crutches - in that tiller movement is restricted.

Kai
KaiB

Boom Crutch

Postby sunapeesailor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:20 am

Hi guys --

True that the design for a boom crutch limits movement of the tiller and a topping lift works better for use while under way, but at a mooring, the paddle design boom crutch works very well. You cinch-up the mainsheet and use the main halyard as a topping lift with a canvas over the boom and voila little to no water in the boat--even with an open design as the wind will keep the bow to windward!
Just my 2 cents...
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

to dsheer

Postby Roger » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:50 am

dsheer

A really quick fix to your original mast crutch if you want to cut into it, (pun intended) is to make one longitudinal saw cut down the middle of the single mast crutch. Overlap the two so that the jaws face each other and drill and fasten a ss bolt about 8 or 10 inches down from the top end to creat a scissor crutch. When you open them up, you will note that the jaws open wide enough to accept the mast. Place the legs in the corners of the cockpit, and strap everything down. (Revarnish the cut edges, but you knew that!)

http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/shoeb ... hotoID=181

Now you can use your mast crutch with the tiller in place and functional. Dropping the mast to go under a low bridge, motoring through to the other part of the lake or river is now a real possibility. I use the jib halyard for solo raising and lowering of the mast.

The dropped mast also makes a great ridge pole for the tarp when boat camping, especially in a thunderstorm when you feel particularily vulnerable.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer I Only