xref hull and class/sail number?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

xref hull and class/sail number?

Postby Knute » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:07 pm

I bought my DS1 about 15 years ago and have recently taken it out of storage and intend to make some further repairs, etc.

The title gives a year of 1972, but since it has mahogany seats, brass jam cleats in the coaming for the jib sheets, floatation behind the seats, a centerboard lever, no turnbuckles, etc., I'm now guessing it is really a Gen 1 boat (1957 - 1961).

When I first got it, I had to improve the structural integrity somewhat: the rudder/motor mounts and drainhole area were soggy and about to disintegrate, so I re-inforced the transom by epoxying-in a plate of aircraft/marine plywood on the interior of the transom -- and created a wider inspection port with the same material for the forward wall/bulkhead of the transom area. I also put in a wider inspection port for the bow area, removed the whatever old foam was in there, reinforced the backing for the bow eye with white oak, etc, etc.

I didn't find any plate or engraving with a hull and/or class number, but did discover a hand-written number 3632 on the starbord side in the hidden bow area. I originally assumed that was the sail number (and had it put on a new set of sails I made back then). Now I'm thinking this may have been the hull number, and the class number is probably 3-digits.

Does anyone know if there is any extant cross-reference between hull and class/sail number? Any suggestions as to what to put on the sail.

With the mahogany revarnished and a coat of paint on the inside, she is very pretty. And even though the centerboard is a little waterlogged, it hums nicely when the breeze gets her going.
Knute

Nbrs.

Postby KaiB » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:57 pm

I'll wager you're right...that you have an earlier boat.

Our hull nbr. 15714 puts us at 1968 (we know this to be true) with a sail nbr of 3162. Were you to have sail nbr 36xx, you would have a 2d gen DS-1 ('68 or early '69) just like ours (which you don't).

I have not yet seen a reference which links hull numbers with sail numbers. Would be an interesting challenge.

Kai
KaiB

Return to Day Sailer I Only