To cut the mast....or not

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

To cut the mast....or not

Postby Kevin F » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:47 pm

My brother and I are in a debate as to cutting my DS 1 mast and installing a hinged plate or trying to launch (only once per year) with the mast intact. I do not have any recent experience in mast/ rigging prior to the start of a sailing season since I owned a Cape Dory Typhoon some 12 years ago. On the other hand my brother owns several boats including a Rhodes 19 which he installed "the hinge" and has little issues in the mast rigging department. What is the consensus of Day Sailer owners on this topic?
DS 1 #3451
Kevin F

depends...

Postby Roger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:39 pm

If racing is more important to you than convenience then don't cut the mast. If however the convenience of self raising and lowering/trailering is important to you, then cut it.
Roger

Postby dsheer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:39 am

A second to Roger. With a tabernacle (the hinge) raising the mast is a very easy one man operation - 5 minutes, tops, including tensioning the mast jack. I do it every time I sail, so it is a necessary convenience. Also, having the mast 2 feet shorter makes it harder to hit stuff when you are trailering.

If you only have to get it up once a year, and you have help, putting a big stick in a small hole is not a big deal, (see other posts on suggestions). Be careful, though. It is much more difficult, and prone to unwanted consequences.

Dan
dsheer

Postby Phill » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 pm

Ditto the above recomendations.

One idea though..... long, uncut masts are getting harder to find for those who have a hinged mast and want to upgrade for better racing preformance. You may be able to post here and work out a trade. Especially if you have one of the original tapered Proctor masts. They are often sought after as a premimum mast section. Un cut, you may be able to sell it and have money left over for a straight hinged mast.

I always cringe a bit when an uncut mast under goes hingeing. :(

phill
Phill

One piece Mast

Postby Dick36 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:30 pm

I would like to buy or trade for a one piece mast. I would pay shipping and I am willing to pay a reasonable amount to boot. Please reply!

andr-ds@cox.net
Dick36

One Piece Mast

Postby Steve » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:17 am

I have a one piece mast that I would like to trade for a hinged mast. It's tapered and I believe it's a Proctor. I've been unable to find a tabernacle to fit it and now believe it would be better to trade it than to cut it. I live in Morro Bay, California. A couple of small photos are in my gallery. I can send high resolution photos.

Steve

salias1 at mac.com
Steve

Return to Day Sailer I Only