DSI Floor boards

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DSI Floor boards

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 21, 1997 1:00 am

I own a DSI (Hull #3964) and am interested in making new floorboards for my boat. The old boards have been neglected and the finish is beyond repair. My question is, has anyone built new boards? If so, what kind of glue did you use to attach the boards to the ribbing and what kind of fastners (screws, nails, other) did you use? I plan to use 1/2" mahogany so there isn't enough depth to counter sink screws and plug them which would be my preferred method. The old boards were attached to the ribs using stables which have worked out over time. I have a shop and lots of tools, I just need some sage advice before getting started.

P.S. I know that all the serious racers take the boards out and toss them in the garage. But I am not that competitive and would like to restore the boat to its new condition.

Gary Powell

Gary Powell (gdpowell-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 17, 1998 12:00 am

I'm glad to read your positng about the floorboards. I bought a used (misused? abused?) DS1 about 2 years ago which also had some fairly well gone floorboards. I hit the web sites to see about replacements and read about the hiking straps and saw photos with no floorboards at all.

I was about to become convinced that the floorboards were just added by a prior owner. Like you, I would like to have them, but I do wish there could be a way found to add hiking straps without removing the boards. I note from the date of your post that it has been several months without a reply. Have you joined the Day Sailer Association? Maybe they could help?

Don Garrison (dgarrisn-at-telepath.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 20, 1998 12:00 am

Floorboards were a stock (optional) accessory for the DS I but many of the people who purchased and then went on to race removed them for weight reasons. I personally prefer to leave them out all the time.

Hiking straps can be installed so that it is possible to take the floorboards in and out of the boat. See the "Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation" subject in the Miscellaneous catagory. Instructions are in the last reply.

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 19, 1998 1:00 am

I have actually seen two different sets of floorboards since I first posted this message more than 1 year ago. the standard set consists of 4 sections divided along the centerline with another division approximately under the seats. The consist of 3/4" ribs and 1/2" planks. My old boards appear to be glued and stapled (with an air stapler). most staples have since pulled loose and many glue joints are also broken.

I have also seen a fifth floorboard on one DSI that actually ran across the width of the transom. It appeard to "fill in" the section aft of the standard floorboards. The one drawback is that is also covered up the aft fitting for hiking straps.

My boat (#3964) did come with hiking straps that are made exactly as those described in this message string. I have two 2" stainless rings (fore and aft) which are attached to the boat. The hiking straps are made of 2" nylon webbing with gromets and short nylon line for tying them to the rings. Frankly, I have not used them yet because I am not racing right now. I plan to use them next season and expect the to work well with floorboard.

For the record, I have not yet constructed new floorboards, but would be happy to send a simple line drawing to anyone who does not have boards and no piture to construct them. Since subscribing to "Wooden Boat" Magazine, I also have a better sense of which glues will work. I'm still not sure about mechanical fasteners.

Gary Powell (gdpowell-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 20, 1998 1:00 am

The 'full set of original floorboards consisted of five pieces. The set you saw with only four was (probably) not a full set.

Keith A. Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 21, 1998 1:00 am

I have an old DSI where the floor boards are in good condition, I think they were purchased and put up in the garage! There are five (5) pieces and the planks are attached with brass tacks/nails. I can take some digital pictures and email them to you if you are interested. An alternative would be for me to post them on my website for all to view. Interested?

Gary Nichols (SailNick-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 02, 2000 12:00 am

I have a DS I (#1580) with pretty intact floor boards. While re-glueing some members of these boards I decided to use two-part epoxy- the kind you can find at any hardware store. It seems to work well and holds up in saltwater conditions.The only important thing to remember when using epoxy is to mix it very well- otherwise it woun't hold...

Hans (allpro-at-wenet.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2000 8:37 am

My Grandfather and I are in the process of restoring his DS I (hull #3036). He was the 2nd owner as of 1975 and the mahogany is in excellent condition. (including the boom crutch). He does not recall the floor-boards being present when he took posession of her. We would like to keep the restoration as authentic as possible and are keen to have a go at fabricating a set of flooring... If anyone has plan drawings or photos and a description of how the floor boards are constructed we would be greatful!!!!

Trevor (TWillis-at-Sympatico.ca)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:40 pm

I built a four-piece set of floorboards last summer from 6-inch mahogany, using what I assume were original floorboards from my 1961 DS-1 to serve as a template for the dimensions. I put a slight space between the boards & connected them with stainless screws, which I countersunk. Mahogany was then treated. They're quite heavy but have worked out wonderfully. If anyone wants dimensions or pictures, I'll try to help out.

Chuck Goodrich (good5buck-at-attbi.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:27 pm

Recently purchased a 1959 boat, by Marscot in New Bedford, no floor boards. Would be interested in dimensions of originals if possible. (Local lumber yard has 3/4 x 4 mahogany deck planking at good price.)

john Hampe (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2003 5:30 pm

Just posted some dimensions and photos for a set of DS1 floorboards - hope it helps you.

http://www.aisol.com/daysailer/index.html

--
Ron
DS 3103
Seattle WA
--

RJ Swenson (rswenson-at-aisol.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue May 06, 2003 6:09 pm

I'm currently replacing all the old beat up mahogany on my DS1. It was really split up and falling apart. If the problem is only finish, though, save the wood! If you troll this site a bit you'll find some good advice on restoring the wood. With all the modern finishes available, you should be able to save your sole after all.
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 7:58 am

RJS... That was a great effort in putting together that presantation. Much thanks. I have an older boat with wood seating instead of moulded plastic, but can very easily adapt from what you show. Much appreciated.

J. Hampe (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only