Mast step loose-- please advise

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast step loose-- please advise

Postby Wyatt » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi:

After reading through these posts, I tightened up the shrouds and removed the upper mast stays. We took the boat out last week and had it planing. It definitely seems to sail better.

However, as a result (I think) the mast step has come loose. I took it apart today and found that one of the #8 screws apparently sheared off, or maybe just failed from corrosion. The hole into the keelson is bored out. The other screw is still secure in a proper diameter hole. There doesn't appear to be any support behind (under) the fiberglass on the keelson.

Can someone please advise me on what the DS1 mast step set-up should be? The only info I can find looking back in the repair posts applies to the DSII.

Thanks,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Re: Mast step loose-- please advise

Postby hightide » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:45 pm

Wyatt wrote:Hi:

(snip)
However, as a result (I think) the mast step has come loose. I took it apart today and found that one of the #8 screws apparently sheared off, or maybe just failed from corrosion. The hole into the keelson is bored out. The other screw is still secure in a proper diameter hole. There doesn't appear to be any support behind (under) the fiberglass on the keelson.

Can someone please advise me on what the DS1 mast step set-up should be? (snip)Thanks,

Wyatt

Hello fellow sailors!

I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading the boards since early last summer when I decided I just had to resume sailing.

I recently purchased a DS1 and like Wyatt (see quoted post), have discovered that the mast step is loose. I unscrewed the step and found that it was only being held in place by the two screws going into dead space in the keelson and a bit of caulking. I had hoped that I'd be able to just re-fabricate the stripped (I thought) screw hole with something like Marine Tex, then re-drill the hole and secure the mast step.

However when I backed the screw out, I saw the latex looking caulking around the mast step margin, so backed out the other screw. Both had been just hanging there -- through the gel coat or resin/fiberglass body of the keelson and into "thin air." A small gauge wire probe could go many inches down, touching only something inside that felt like it might be part of the centerboard or other metallic feeling apparatus. What gives?

So, my question is the same as Wyatt's: What's going on? Is the mast step supposed to be just screwed through the thin keelson casing/skin and secured with caulking? Is there supposed to be something more substantial inside that keelson to which I can secure the mast step screws (about 1.5 inches long)? Can someone help us figure out how to remedy what seems like a too foot loose situation? Even some information about the basic "Gray's Anatomy" of the keelson and keel might help me.

I have photos I've taken of that area, showing the mast step, keelson, a thin probe (awl) going to "nowhere land" through the screw hole, and so on. I thought when I was viewing the forums that there are sections for members to develop an album. I'll resume looking for that area of the web board.

I've learn a lot by reading through the many interesting threads on Daysailer-org and I've been inspired by the many excellent photos and links and the spirit of give and take that I've found here. I hope to contribute in that vein.

Best regards,
Carrie
hightide

Postby Wyatt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:38 pm

Carrie:

I used epoxy putty to fill in the bored out hole and reinstalled the step. What I didn't do was refasten the mast section (my mast is hinged) with screws to the mast step casting. The previous owner had fastened 3 #10 sheetmetal screws on both sides and the front of the mast to the casting. After ruminating under the cuddy for awhile, I realized this is what had caused the step to come loose in the first place. Anytime the mast shifted, it torqued the mast step.

I had the boat out a few times after the repair, and experienced no problems with the step.

Like you, I would still like to hear from the experts about the forces acting at the mast step, and whether any additional reinforcing is in order.

Welcome to the Daysailer crowd.

Regards,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Return to Day Sailer I Only