waterline question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

waterline question

Postby calden » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:18 pm

Hey all:

After sailing in a somewhat-yukky lake yesterday, I noticed the light scum line on the hull was about 7" above the painted black waterline. This is only in the aft part of the boat - up front, under the bow, it's level with the line.

Does this merely mean that my friend and I are too fat (true - each about 230 or more...) and ought to try and sit more fore with that kind of weight, or does it possibly indicate something else about the boat that I ought to be aware of?

Also, is this waterline indicative of an EMPTY boat, and the idea is to keep it parallel with the actual waterline of a weighted boat?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby jpclowes » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:25 am

Carlos
Don't forget that when you are sailing, you are probably heeling. That can put the "scum line" higher than the water line too. I often have a scum line above my water line when I am single handing. Now, I'm not a little guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think I'm that heavy! :shock: Even just moving around the boat can put the topsides down below the waterline, for short periods.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby calden » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:35 am

*sound of hand smacking forehead*

Thanks for the VERY OBVIOUS observation. Duh on my part. I was wondering why I didn't notice the scum line on the stern.

Of COURSE even in light wind there's some heeling and even gentle rocking as we moved around in the boat, and that would account for a lot of the higher waterline.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Day Sailer I Only