my jib blocks and stuff

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

my jib blocks and stuff

Postby crawford » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:55 pm

The last time some interest was generated by my simple plan. But it was incomplete. My blocks for the jib are centered on the thwarts. They are rotating blocks that allow me to reach from most any angle to loosen or tighten the sheets. The main block is a hexratchet that attaches to the center of the boom. I don't like the tangle of the traditional traveler on the stern.
http://lakeyosemite.com/jibrig.jpg
crawford

Postby calden » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:23 pm

Do you have any traveller system, or is it just the main sheet to mid-boom?

I like those jib cleats, by the way. I don't feel a need for them on my DS -I've got stationary cleats on my centerboard trunk,
and can reach them wherever I am, really - but I would REALLY like the swivel cam cleats on my San Juan 21.

carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby crawford » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:48 pm

No traveler. I used the one on my Catalina 22s but never feel the need for them on my DS. Yes, the swivels would be nice on a san juan 21. But then the hull of the san juan is beautiful for racing. I had them on my Catalinas and felt pleased that the last owner of the ds had them in his "junk pile". But there was no main sheet devise so I was able to locate hobie 16 hardware from atlantic sail traders. ($15!) The pullies were way to large and beefy, so was able to put together a good hexratchet from the many pieces of hardware I had laying around. That's the good part of having owned a large amount and variety of sailboats...
crawford

flotation

Postby crawford » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:57 pm

There is no flotation! One and a half years ago I was able to get the seller to finally sell me the boat. It was a bare hull with a single 2x4 where the thwarts belong. No seats, no thwarts, no teak, no main sheet cleat,... But it did have the swivel jib cleats...?
The forward tank was filled with old, cracked gallon jugs. The aft tank was open to the air. Side tanks would not hold air (They are only two inches thick anyways.)
When I built the seats I planned to stick flotation in there but never have. I see there is another wood seat boat that carries "noodles" tucked under the seats. That seems reasonable.
At the regatta on Lake Yosemite three DSs were towed in after filling with water. So maybe I better take a lesson from them.
The DS2 I once owned had plenty of flotation. I have often wondered about adding some to this old boat.
Thanks for pointing it out
crawford

Return to Day Sailer I Only