Wood Trim for Spindrift DSI

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Wood Trim for Spindrift DSI

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 17, 2000 1:00 am

I own an 82 Spindrift DSI (#11538) in great shape except for the wood trim around the cockpit (Combings I think they're called??). Does anyone know if there is a source for wood trim, or is a local craftsman my best bet? Thanks for your help.

Tim

Timothy Otis (tim-at-otis.mv.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2000 12:00 am

Am not aware of a DS wood trim supplier.
The trim pieces shouldn't be too difficult to make or have made. They can be made from 1x10x1/2 lumber of your choice. A good marine/aircraft plywood would work well, too. My 82 DS has 5/8 trim (mahogany, I think. I want to believe teak, but - - ). They're probably factory made, but that's difficult to tell.
I f you do not have dimensions, I can trace mine for you & snail-mail. Shouldn't take too much effort. Or you can draw your own trim dimensions. As long as they fit the dimensions to fit the top rail, you should be OK. I understand they are structurally needed only on older O'day's.
I'm not sure though how high they should be off the rails. I've re-mounted mine about one inch above-to suit me & they look good. I've seen them as much as three inches above, too, some with cut-outs where the crew sits. Keeps you from having to look for new crew every time you go out, unless they like wedgies.

lynn larremore (elynn3342-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 29, 2000 12:00 am

Tim,

I have a 1984 Spindrift DS I which should be very similar to your boat. The wood trim on my boat is made of teak. Unlike the original O'Day DS I, the factory trim on my boat is flush with the deck.

Vince

Vince (vincent.demperio-at-bms.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only