Wood Seats

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Wood Seats

Postby eric » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:45 pm

Hello, I'm new and have recently acquired a Daysailer. I have looked at a lot of photos now and I've yet to see another with wood seats. Mine are teak with no vertical supports. If someone could e mail me a picture of their wood seats I would appreciate it- my boat came disassembled and i need all the help i can get. Thanks,Eric
eric

wood seats

Postby crawford » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:53 am

Look in personal galleries> crawford
crawford

Postby obiewan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:06 pm

I have just aquired an early DS1 with the wood seats however there were no woods seats. The wood rails around the perimter of the cockpit are there however they are only good for a template. My questions is how are the seat stringers set up? Do they anchor/attach back to the thwart at the CB? If so how as the thwart will be resting on the rails if I am looking at it correctly. What is the final width of the seats. Thanks for any information.
obiewan

seats

Postby crawford » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Mine came the same way, no wood anywhere. The stringers on the sides and rear were attached. They seemed strong. I got two pieces of redwood/cedar that are used for "grass boards" on fences. I was able to get the curve laid out with a compass (drawing thingy). Prior to cutting both seats out I used the hatch covers from a Lightning sailboat. I cut those to be the thwarts. Positioned them and attached them. Then I was able to place my seats.
I attached the seats with a sixfoot 2X2 of sprucerunning along the inward side of the seat creating a secure cantaliver that attaches to the thwart with two trough bolts of stainless, and three through bolts of stainless along the seats inward side. I then screwed three more longish stainless screws into the seat sides into the 2X2. The outward sides that attach to the wood along the side of the cockpit are screwed and counter sunk with 8 stainless wood screws.
This worked well for a season. I can stand on the seat (200 lbs) as I dock. But last summer I added a leg in the middle made of teak just because I am concerned about the weight in the center of the seats. It may not even need it. The cantalivered part was doing the job. But... Better safe than sorry.
crawford

Return to Day Sailer I Only