DS1 "transiton model" 11370

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 "transiton model" 11370

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 08, 2000 12:00 am

Hello,
I am considering the purchase of a DS1 #RRR 11370 81A with Spindrift One Designs decals. Any information to help me in the evaluation of this boat would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

James Arvin (rivahmon-at-rivnet.net)

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 08, 2000 12:00 am

The boat that you are looking at was made in Jackson, MI by Rebel Industries. It may have a end cut balsa core hull (I.E. end cut balsa core sandwich between layers of fiberglas)

That series have a very stiff hull and are mostly at class minimum weight.

Check that hull carefully to see that no water has found it's way into the end cut balsa core. Look for raised areas where water have frozen and separtated the hull sandwich.

It should be a great boat. I have the first boat in that series. (11100)

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:00 am

Hi,

I have DS 11791. It is one of the last Spindrifts and was built in 1984. Like Gus said, they are nice boats as long as the hull integrity is maintained. I've read about a few that had delamination problems, but all the ones I've seen are rock solid. If you are looking to race, they can definitely be made to go fast as the 1993 Nationals were won by a Spindrift. Some control lines and spinaker rigging will have to be done externally due to the large seat air tanks which incorporate the backrest area, but the extra flotation makes it easier to right the boat if you ever capsize.

Check the hull out good, especially the area around the floor mounted venturi bailer (assuming it has this option), and if you see any damage on the bottom of the boat from hitting rocks, docks, or whatever, check it very closely. If all is well, I think you'll be really happy w/ the boat. Feel free to e-mail me w/ any further questions.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2000 12:00 am

Hello and thanks to Gus and Kevin for their prompt response to my initial post.

I have a correction to the hull number, but it is probably insignificant. The correct # RRR 11370 M 81A.

This number is stamped on the sb side of the transom and I have not noticed a manuf data plate anywhere.

Capacity rating and other owner's info furnished by Spindrift would be desireable if anyone can help.

Thanks again

James Arvin (rivahmon-at-rivnet.net)

Return to Day Sailer I Only