Difference between the DS I, II and III

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Difference between the DS I, II and III

Postby BigGrover » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:02 pm

Ok - interested in getting a daysailer. read somewhere where the DS III has more comfortable seating. Can't readily locate any other info describing the differences between the I, II and III. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
BigGrover

Postby algonquin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Hull designs are pretty similar as are the general specifications. The DS1 has an open cuddy entrance and the floor of the hull is the actual floor surface where as the II and III have a cuddy with an entrance hatch/door and the floors are double thickness and have a drain in the event you take on water. My DS1 does not have the ability to drain water while the boat is in the water. As far as the open cuddy of my DS1, I prefer it over the small entrance doors of the II and III. The hatches of the II and III do allow you to secure gear when the boat is not in use and also when the weather is bad. Even with that I like the open cuddy of the DS1.

These boats, although similar, were manufactured by various builders over the years and you can still get a brand new DS from Cape Cod Shipbuilding. There are many variations of on board sail handling equipment over the years due to the many different DS builders. My DS1 is a 1963 and has molded seats but some have wooden seats. Mine still has the factory wire horse traveller but many owners have updated that.

Somewhere on this site I thought I read that the DS1 was preferred for racing although many race the DSIIs. The DSIII is not sanctioned for racing as far as I could tell. I believe that the DSII is more refined than the DS1.

Something to keep in mind when comparing these boats is that many have been modified by their owners with updated sail handling systems.

Look through the photo sections and you will find pictures of members various types of DS boats. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby adam aunins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:35 pm

I believe that Boat Works magazine did an artical on the DS a year or two ago. It might not have been Boat Works, I'm sure someone will chime in on which magazine it was, but anyway that's where I first found out about the DS. If I dig around I could might be able to find the magazine, it will tell you alot about these boats and what some people think of them.
adam aunins

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:19 pm

The DS II has a raised hull liner with considerable airspace in between the hull and the liner. There's also less leg room in the DSII - I feel like my knees are under my chin when I sit in one.
The cuddy is always closed off, and the centerboard is controlled by lines that raise and lower the board. There are no thwarts in the DS II.

The DS I usually has an open cuddy, but with the latter boats, built by Sunfish-Laser and Cape cod Shipbuilding, These boats have a closed off cuddy, like the DS II. The centerboard is always controlled by brass lever. The hull does not have a false bottom, although sometimes there is a foam core or inner hull liner bonded to the inside of the hull. Nearly all DSI's have thwarts, except for some in the 700-900 class number range.

The shape of the DS III hull is different from that of the DS I and DS II. Also the rudder is differently shaped. This is why the DS II was not accepted by the class association as a legal Day Sailer; it's a different hull.

Personally, I think the DS I is the best of the lot.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby BigGrover » Sat May 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Thanks for all the info, gonna try to find a DS I
BigGrover

Return to Day Sailer I Only