Centerboard/Retrieving

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard/Retrieving

Postby John Stevens » Wed May 14, 2008 1:22 pm

For the past 8 years I've been trailersailing keel boats. I always drive the boat up to the trailer, walk to the bow, hook the boat on and climb down the tongue and pull the boat out.

When retrieving the DS1 I pulled the board up and lost most of my control. With nothing to pivot on, how do you guys steer the boat onto the trailer? Or do I have to stand in the water and walk it on?

John
John Stevens

put guideposts on your trailer

Postby Roger » Wed May 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Once you get close you can lift the board and glide into position, and stay in position with the guide posts.
Roger

Postby John Stevens » Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 pm

Roger,

Will it hurt the CB leaving it down and letting the rollers push it up?

It's hard to reach from the tiller to the lever on the CB. Maybe I just need to refine my handling of the boat.

John
John Stevens

Push ups

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 14, 2008 11:28 pm

I've retrieved my DS a number of times with the CB down, and having the rollers push it up. I've not obseved any ill effects.

I retrieve mine by pulling on the painter until the bow rest in a notch on the first roller (at water level). I use that as a pivot to adjust the angle of the boat as I winch her in.

That seems to work OK as long as there's no disturbing current, wind prsessure or waves/wakes.

However, there are times when these conditions are just not met, so I'm curious about different teechniques.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

In problem in a DS I as far as I can figure

Postby Roger » Thu May 15, 2008 10:02 pm

All it would do is push it up into position. On a DS II however there is the chance that the uphaul line will be displaced alongside the cb as the line goes slack. This will indeed cause problems.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer I Only