Rub Rail Part # from Hamilton Marine

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rub Rail Part # from Hamilton Marine

Postby Guest » Thu May 11, 2000 12:00 am

For those who have replaced the rubrail on a DS 1,I have a 68 model-can anyone send me the part#-I would like to order it today-THANKS-RUSSELL

Russell (candidus93-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 12, 2000 12:00 am

I think its the DWP 132FW but I would ask them to send you a sample before I ordered the whole length.

Bob Torson (safehbr-at-pioneer.net)

Postby Guest » Mon May 15, 2000 12:00 am

I'll second that. I compared a section from our ' 67 DS1 with the catalog profile and came up with the same No. Will 38 feet do? Is it possible to reuse the hard plastic inner form if it is in good shape?

barry (bfk-at-sdcity.sannet.gov)

Postby Guest » Wed May 17, 2000 12:00 am

There appear to be several types of rubrails used on DS1's. mine is an '82 & the Hamilton rub-rail & insert #s that fit it are dwp-133 or dwp-120-f (difference is a bit more exterior side rounding on dwp120-f) & dwp-121-2p for the insert.

I've seen several Spindrifts of various ages & they seem to use that style. I have see others that use another style, so you gotta get their catalog & compare cross-sections.

Lynn
DS11537

My insert was installed with several random length pieces & several were broken. So I chose to replace it. Inserts come in 8' sections. They both are bought by the rub-rail is bought by the foot.

Lynn Larremore (lynn.larremore-at-ss.ps.ge.com)

Postby Guest » Fri May 19, 2000 12:00 am

Just so i know my boat has nothining as far as rub rail goes it is simply the bare hull showwing the staples holding the hull together are ther two parts then to order?

russell (candidus93-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun May 21, 2000 12:00 am

Yes, you need two parts. A plastic piece that mounts to the boat and is not very flexible. My old stuuf came in four foot sections but I see now its 8' sections. These slip over the hull's flange and were originally held on with staples. I used self tapping screws to hold them on. The vinyl section goes over them and a rubber hammer is an aid in getting it on. I was not able to stretch mine enough to get neat corners. I'm told the vinyl has to be heated to a high?? level in order to stretch it around the corners. My someone wjo has done this will advise here.

Bob Torson

Bob Torson (safehbr-at-pioneer.net)

That rubber hammer would surely have been a good thing for me in replacing my old rub-rail. Didn;t want to go home for more tools, so used the heel of my hand as an encourager & it was sore for several days!
My rub-rail has a crimp at the bow. I've found no way to get it to lay down on its own yet. A good heat gun might work, but we're working with a thick hard "rubber" here so doubt that it'll help much. I've seen a few DS with the rubrail slit at the bow to allow it to lay flat. That doesn't look bad but does weaken your rail there. I haven't decided what to do with my crimp yet. That point was more flat before I took it off, so there must have been some mfg. trick that we'd like to know.
When replacing either insert or rub-rail, DO measure twice, & order a foot or so extra. When I replaced my old rail over new insert, I would up with a 6-8" shortage. What the hey! It was apparently stretched quite a bit (or had contracted over the years) before I removed it & there ain't no way you're gonna stretch 15-20 yr old "rubber" rail after it's been re-installed. I hope the new stuff is more co-operative.
Anyhoo, I now have a 3-4 inch gap between rubrail & metal end caps at the stern. I had to put some temporary plates over the gap to help hide the obvious, but have no clue yet what to do with it except buy more rubrail & me Scottish great-grandmother would frown on that extravagance!

Lynn Larremore (elynn1141-at-aol.com)

Barry- you could use your old insert, if it has not been broken up too badly. I played with that idea for a while & tried it, but since mine had been broken in a number of short pieces, it didn't seem worth the trouble of piecing it. I was able to work the insert down the larger pieces with no problem, but when I got to the short ones, matching ends was difficult & the rub-rail tended to hangup there (even after filing them down) causing a lot of extra friction, so I quit & got out my chargecard. It's worth the effort to try it. Good luck

Lynn Larremore (elynn1141-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue May 23, 2000 12:00 am

Thanks for the hints. Hamilton is currently out of my correct rub rail profile, however, (just to thrrrrrrillll th' Scotch in ya) I ordered 40 feet and should have a bit of extra. I might send it to you, if you can figure out how to get the bow section of rub rail to lay out smoothly........

barry (bfk-at-sdcity.sannet.gov)

Postby Guest » Wed May 24, 2000 12:00 am

I got my new rub rail from D & R Marine (See parts in on this web page), they also have the inner retainer.

Will Duncan (wduncan-at-uglyduckling.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only