new Bulkhead

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

new Bulkhead

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2000 12:00 am

I have been deciding how I want to configure the cuddy in the DS1 I am restoring. My wife and I really want some dry storage on our DS1 and I have had to almost rip out everything inside the hull to remove nasty foam. I was wondering if fiberglassing in a plywood bulhead to enclose the cuddy would be worthwhile. Any feedback would be highly useful to me as I want to sail this summer. Any ideas?

Eric J Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2000 12:00 am

Eric,

It almost sounds like you're trying to turn your DS1 into a DS2, in
which case you might be better off finding a nice DS2 in your area and selling this boat. Around here, DS1's sell for substantially more
(40-50%) than comparable DS2's because the DS1 is the preferred boat for racing. For cruising, the DS2's enclosed cabin is considered a plus for many and the DS2 is also self-rescuing which is a big bonus when you don't have a race committee boat nearby to come tow you in.

If you keep your DS1, my recommendation is to not do any permanent structural changes in your restoration. You may decide to do some racing someday, or want to sell the boat someday. In either case you'll be glad you kept the hull original. If you need to keep stuff completely dry, buy some plastic storage bins at Walmart for $15 and tether them in the cuddy w/ bungie cords.

Kevin Clark

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only