New to Site/New to Sailing (pics)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New to Site/New to Sailing (pics)

Postby SiteReader » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:14 pm

On this model Daysailer 1 (I have a near one #785, built in 1961), the coamings also serve to keep water out of the boat when heeling sharply. My boat came with the port side coaming partially broken off and smoothed down near the stern. It lowered the height of the coaming about 2.5 inches compared to the starboard side. In a strong wind, and sailing single-handed as I usually do, water will start coming in there first when heeling. I made a patch repair this year out of some 3/8" mahogany (actually a 1/2-inch thick piece that I trimmed in my radial arm saw). I can now heel over further and not worry about taking on water.

I'm making this comment 6 years after the original posting. Although you have probably solved the problem or gotten another boat by now, I hope it may help some other reader.
SiteReader

Re: New to Site/New to Sailing (pics)

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:30 pm

Coamings lead to divided opinions.

Some like them flush for ease of hiking out, others like the way they keep out water.

I replaced the weatherstripping between coamings and deck a while back to improve on the second aspect, and have long used blocks of foam to use as cushions on the side decks for sitting out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only