Racing Sails

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Racing Sails

Postby John Stevens » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:30 pm

My DS1 has original 1982 sails that work just fine for cruising. I'm looking for some racing sails to compete with some of the local racers.

Any advise on brand and things to look for would be great.

John
John Stevens

racing sails

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:08 am

It seems that a lot of the champs have used North Sails or Jotz Sails. The North Sails website lists the champions that they've had with DaySailer's and if you dig around in Phill's posts here you will find that he uses Jotz. I don't have any experience with either of these. I would be curious to know how competitive Intensity's sails would be I understand that they are competitive with Lasers. This website has links to sail sources here http://forum.daysailer.org/tech_sails.php .

Have fun racing! I've been thinking about racing but I think that it's a ways off for me.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:38 pm

I bought a set of Jotz sails a year ago and I'm very happy with them. The order process took a bit of getting used to: I got the address off his web-site and sent a postcard with an initial request, then got a phone call back to discuss the details, and finally sent it a check together with a recap of the order. The sails arrived a few weeks before the promised delivery date, with careful instructions, including how best to set up the jibsheets, etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not a racer, but seeing how they perform, I find it hard to imagine that other, more expensive sails would perform that much better. In fact, I suspect that for now, if I want to improve matters further, there are other aspects that are the limiting factor...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only