center board and rudder upgrade

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

center board and rudder upgrade

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:00 am

I am considering upgrading the center board and rudder to improve the ability to "point" higher. The basic question is where are "performance rudders and center boards available, and any other thoughts that will improve "pointing" performance.

Bob Walker (rewalker-at-calpoly.edu)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:00 am

They may be available elsewhere, but I know that Cape Cod Shipbuilding makes and sells new centerboards and rudder blades. These are the ones used on the new racing Day Sailers that they are building, so they should be good. I believe that there is a link from this web-page to CCSB. Another option is to look on the Day Sailer Association Web site(www.daysailer.org)
for tips from the top racers.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2000 12:00 am

Yes, the Lindsay centerboards and rudders that Cape Cod sells are nice and even affordable (~$195 each). They will be faster, but I'm not sure if they are going to point better than what you have... They may, they may not.

The biggest improvement for pointing is usually made by upgrading your sails, though. My blown-out stock sails had a VERY deep draft and thus pointed terribly. I bought new sails from Jotz and now I can go to weather as well as anyone in our fleet. So if pointing is your primary concern, I would work w/ your sail trim first or consider upgrading your sails.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only