Mainsheet block

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mainsheet block

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 22, 2000 3:57 pm

I am looking at placing a cam lock type mainsheet block on the centerboard trunk and I am wondering if the centerboard trunk is rugged enough to handle the stress. I have mid boom sheeting and am also looking for a mainsheet block inexpensively. All I have been able to find is Harken and they are about $70! Any suggestions?

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:13 pm

I had a 1/4" stainless angle made that uses the two screws from the existing clear. It makes kind of a little shelf for the Harken block to attach. The dirty secret is that I've had the whole assembly for years and still haven't put it on . . . afraid that if I remove those cleat screws they'll never go back in. . . I can send you some digitals of what I have if it would help.

Dan Dellar (ddellar-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:55 am

When I bought my boat (1967 DS I) it only had a jamming fiddleblock on the outboard end of the boom. I installed a Harken "mainsheet block - rotating - jam cleat holder" thing (I sure they are going to change the catalog reference after reading this) on the centerboard trunk. I had to tap threads for deeper, or for larger screws, the flat spot on the aft end of the centerboard trunk. The fiberglass is very thick and there "may" be a metal plate in there for strength...I forget. At any rate it has worked perfectly and has survived strong winds (25+ gusts) and an accidental jibe or two (I wasn't the skipper- really).

As for costs I got the part in a clearance sale, added a couple of missing parts for small change, bought a block form a used stuff shop, and the whole setup cost about $50.00. I would like to get a ratchet block, but the cam cleat handles the load well enough. In hindsight, I would have spent the money on a ratchet block in the first place. Now, I want to replace what I have and will end up with "extra" parts, and wasted money.

If you plan to keep the boat, think of spreading the cost out over the next 50 to 75 years (hey, I plan to be sailing well into my 100's). Isn't it true no one ever knows what to get you for your birthday? Now, you can give them an endless list of boat stuff! Also, check to see if any other boat folks around have extra stuff they are willing to get rid of at the right price. Enjoy!

Barry (Kellbtl-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:11 pm

I have a 67 DS1 too. I replaced the original junk main block with a Harken ratchet and cleat system too, but here's my question. Does anybody else think the whole thing should move forward on the CB trunk, closer to the jib cleats? Walking around that thing when tacking seems so wrong.

Jeff

Jeff Smith (jsmithhouse-at-core.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:33 pm

Ideally, yes. I have left mine in the original postion and it han't bothered me. My father who is 5 inches taller than me felt it was very important to move the block forward on the trunk on his boat.
What ever you are comfortable with.
I have a personal work to sailing ratio that controls the amount of work projects on my boat.

Chris Lewton
Fleet 1, Annapolis

Chris Lewton (clewton-at-erols.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only