Boom Vang

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Boom Vang

Postby seandwyer » Thu May 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi Guys,

With regard to the book vang: Previous owner told me that he just ties the boom vang to the mast right around the area where it goes through the cuddy. The other end had a short piece of cable with a ball end that fits into the key hole fitting on the boom. The boom attachment seems perfectly logical, but tying it to the mast I not so sure about. I was looking at pictures of other boats in a regatta and a lot of them have rings or other hardware on the mast where the boom vang is fastened with a ring clip or something like that. What is safe, proper and efficacious? Previous owner was using what looks like a piece of cotton rope.

Thanks!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby swiftsail » Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 pm

That works as long as there is some fitting to prevent the line from slipping up the mast. I use a piece of Spectra tied around my mast through a eyestrap on the front of the mast. Used properly the vang on a DS needs to carry quite a load.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby seandwyer » Thu May 14, 2009 11:11 pm

An eyestrap? What is that? Something riveted to the mast? I'd been thinking about running the line through the mast step fitting rather than just tying to the mast to avoid slipping in an upward position. Is an eyestrap something common that I could pick up at the hardware store of my local sailing supply place?

thanks
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 15, 2009 12:00 am

I'd be ready to believe that rope from natural fibers might have enough friction (when using the right knot) to not slide up on the mast. With synthetic fiber, that becomes more tricky, but some modern knots (for example the "icicle knot") might actually work.

An eystrap is a simple U with two ears. (There should already be two of these on your mast, one for the jib block and one for the spinnaker block.) They should be easy to get. If you want to use them near salt-water, make sure they are made from marine SS alloy #316 (not #304), and in any case, make sure that any SS fasterners are electrically isolated from the aluminum on your mast. (Embed with caulk or TefGel).

By placing this eyestrap on the front of the mast, all it needs to hold is the upward part of the pull, which is resisted easily by the shear-strength of the rivets of screws (their strongest direction).

Picture 4 for the DS1 manual on this site (under technical info) shows a more standard arrangement, but apparently not the only one that works.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby seandwyer » Fri May 15, 2009 8:29 am

Oh dear. I don't know what a jib or spinnaker block are. I do know that my mast doesn't seem to have any eyestraps. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be anything there and no holes that would indicate a history of such. I looked through both manuals and they don't really talk about boom vangs - but rather, list them at the end of the manual as optional equipment. Well, I have one, and I guess I'll fasten it on somehow - rope for now. I'm a pretty handy guy, but I am petrified of drilling into the mast and possible ruining it. A new one costs more than the entire boat cost me including outboard. Besides - everything is original and I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible. Other than the rub rail looking worse for the wear and a few scratches she looks good. Floor boards are in good shape - I even have the original paddle / boom crutch deal. Anyway, no eyestraps. I guess I should go to the sailing store tomorrow and see what they have. And so that brings me to one of my next eventual questions - how to raise and run a spinnaker. I'm pretty certain that I should get a year under my belt (this summer) before trying this out. Opinions? But I am curious as to how they work etc.

Thanks again!
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 15, 2009 12:50 pm

seandwyer wrote:Oh dear. I don't know what a jib or spinnaker block are. I do know that my mast doesn't seem to have any eyestraps. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be anything there and no holes that would indicate a history of such.

Sean,

the jib block is simply the small pulley by which you pull up the jib. Mine is fastened to the mast with an eyestrap. (Your mast may not have fittings for a spinnaker, but it should have fittings for a jib). I'm curious to find out how your jib block is attached to the mast.

Phill's photo gallery has a picture of an eyestrap (on another part of his boat, but a nice closeup of that piece of hardware).

seandwyer wrote: I looked through both manuals and they don't really talk about boom vangs - but rather, list them at the end of the manual as optional equipment.

Picture 4 in the DS1 manual on this site definitely shows a boom vang, although it's not discussed in the text. Have a look.

That setup uses a fitting similar to the one that Phill uses to attach his boom vang. It's the horse-shoe shaped fitting that sits lowest on the mast in this picture:

If you look around on the site, you will find other photos of boom vangs.

seandwyer wrote: Well, I have one, and I guess I'll fasten it on somehow - rope for now. I'm a pretty handy guy, but I am petrified of drilling into the mast and possible ruining it.

Since it worked for the previous owner with a knot, I see no reason not to give it a try - as long as you use the same rope and the same knot he was using. (I assume he used a "rolling hitch"). If you switch to synthetic rope, you may have to switch to another, stronger knot (for example the "icicle hitch).

None of these are hard to tie, but if you're not sure, you can google for descriptions using these names.

seandwyer wrote:A new one costs more than the entire boat cost me including outboard. Besides - everything is original and I'd like to keep it that way as much as possible. Other than the rub rail looking worse for the wear and a few scratches she looks good. Floor boards are in good shape - I even have the original paddle / boom crutch deal. Anyway, no eyestraps. I guess I should go to the sailing store tomorrow and see what they have.

Well, lucky you! Mine wasn't as cheap, but I fully understand your reluctance to start by cutting and drilling. With the mast, as long as you avoid closely spaced holes that form a line (and protect the aluminum from galvanic corrosion by the SS), you should be fine, if you ever have to add anything later. You'll know what that time comes.

My first trip brought the first repair - the screws of one of the jib tracks pulled out, and that broke the track. The new tracks have different hole patterns, and off I was, drilling through the coaming...

seandwyer wrote:And so that brings me to one of my next eventual questions - how to raise and run a spinnaker. I'm pretty certain that I should get a year under my belt (this summer) before trying this out. Opinions? But I am curious as to how they work etc.

I frequently sail in what I think of as "effectively single-handed", that is with very young or very inexperienced crew, which strikes me as not the right environement for messing with spinnakers anyhow. My boat came without one, and so far, I haven't missed one badly enough to consider spending the money.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Boom Vang

Postby bnnauti » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:58 am

Excellent discussion for a newbie to follow guys! Unfortunately, I can't access the images....any suggestions that could help me?
bnnauti

Postby rnlivingston » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:03 pm

I've uploaded an image of my boom vang and added the picture as an attachment (not sure it will work). My vang is attached to the mast using a bail, but some are attached by riveting an eyestrap to the front of the mast just above the deck. The vang is attached running a line around the mast.
Attachments
vang DS 1973.jpg
vang DS 1973.jpg (194.61 KiB) Viewed 9460 times
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:49 pm

bnnauti wrote:Excellent discussion for a newbie to follow guys! Unfortunately, I can't access the images....any suggestions that could help me?

Make sure you are logged in when viewing.

If you still can't see the images, then I suggest you try a different browser.

If they do show up, then you could have an add-on or extension that prevents you from viewing in the first browser.

If they still don't show up, post your problem under "website info" as a new topic, giving full details of how you access the forum (OS, browser, add-ons, etc.)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby bnnauti » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:48 am

Thank you for the info...I see the boom vang image well.
bnnauti

Return to Day Sailer I Only