Floor boards for DS1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Floor boards for DS1

Postby kkearns » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:37 pm

I just purchased a 1965 DSI in good shape except for the floor boards in the bow section which are rotted (those in the main cockpit are ok). I was told that D&R might have the original plans for for these floorboards, but they do not. Does anyone have plans for these floorboards that I might give to a carpenter? The boards themselves are not difficult to replicate, but the tricky part seems to be the struts that they sit on ... getting the angles correct for the proper alignment with the V-shape of the hull. Perhaps I'm making too much of this, but I am not handy with this type of work so it looks rather complicated to me.

Also, when I restore the boards, I'm thinking of not applying varnish because of the problem of maintaining good footing when wet. Does this make sense? I'm thinking of applying teak oil. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
kkearns

template

Postby kokko » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Someone named cmschulter posted the plans awhile back.
kokko

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:26 pm

There have been multiple threads on the floor boards - you should be able to find more information by searching through the forum.

If you can source the same kind of plank, then the most significant part of the pattern is the outline. They get narrower towards the front in a curve. The supports are not strongly angled for mine, which results in there being a small amount of inward tilt to the floorboards.

Each suppport is basically a rectangular strip of wood. The middle part of the bottom side is hollowed out a bit so that only a 1"x2.5" area at the two corners sits on the hull. I suspect that the outer ones were the ground or filed to fit.

I used waterbased PU varnish and have never had problems with footing, but with cracking/blistering/peeling of the varnish. Teak oil might be more resistant.

I've had similar varnish failure on the coamings and thwarts, and have redone those this spring with epoxy and a 2-component PU from System Three. I'll know next year whether that improved things, if so, I'll most likely use the same combination on the floarboards.

I have the opposite situation from yours: the floorboards in the cuddy are in much better shape.
Last edited by GreenLake on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Baysailer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:59 pm

If you have a decent craftsman that you know and trust I'd suggest leaving my DS with him along with a photo or two of other boats or floorboards. I'm sure they could work the fit issues easier. Greenlakes is right there is a slight inboard lay but if you want them flush I'm sure it can be done. As long as your doing it don't forget the transom floorboard (trunk). All said I can take any photos or dimensions or make drawings you might want.

I'm refinishing my floorboards right now. For the underneath I used Rustoleum Marine Varnish. I used Rustoleum on the Rhodes boards last year after the expensive Bristol Finish died and it's held up well so far. For the top I'm using Cetol with the teak coloring since it was onsale at West Marine. It looks OK so far, not as deep as varnish but they say it's pretty durable. I'll let you know next year how that holds up.
Baysailer

Floorboards

Postby kkearns » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:34 am

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful insights. I did indeed find some older posts on floorboards in another part of the forum. The planks on my bow section boards are more or less ok (a few need to be replaced, which is not a problem). The challenge is cutting the cross section (cleats?) wood that actually sits on the hull to the proper shape because the cross sections on mine are completely destroyed. If anyone has measurements of these cross sections, I would be very grateful. Many thanks.

Kevin
kkearns

templates

Postby kokko » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 pm

kokko

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:00 pm

The boards that make up the little "feet" are from 1 x 1.5" stock (actual dimensions, not lumber sizes).

The narrowest point in the middle of each is 1 x 1.125 approximately.

The individual feet are then filed to fit (they are all different sizes on my boat, the smallest is filed down to 1.125")
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Peterw11 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:14 pm

They are quite impressive.

Which, of course, begs the question. How much$$$?

I also like your boom tent. Where did you get that?
Peterw11

Return to Day Sailer I Only