Centerboard problems withe detail

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard problems withe detail

Postby Melbourne55 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:18 pm

The centerboard was sagging so I pulled it. The crank is slightly worn as is the metal bushing on the starboard side of the CB. The inside of the hole is augured out pretty badly. I plan to epoxy it into shape with JB weld so it will hold better.

The big issue is there is a bronze piece on the port side of the CB well that is loose with cracked fiberglass around it. I assume (dangerous thing to do) that it needs to be epoxied back in place. The damage was most likely caused by an overly thick gasket pulling the lever out to far which would not allow the pin to engage properly. This probably caused the auguring out of the CB hole.

I am wondering if my assumption that the piece on the port side belongs in the well and not on the CB.

If my assumptions are correct the question revolves then around the well. Is it single or double walled? Could I cut out the piece and reinstall it?

The boat is a 1985 Spindrift DS1

Any advice is appreciated.
Rick
Melbourne55

Return to Day Sailer I Only