Roller Furler on DS1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Roller Furler on DS1

Postby John Stevens » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Does anyone use a roller furler on their daysailer.

Seems like it would go along with the reef in the main.

TIA,

John
John Stevens

Postby algonquin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Some are using them and I do plan to install a homemade one but more for dousing the jib rather than shortening it. Brad

http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopi ... er+furling

http://faculty.augie.edu/~swart/CP-16/R ... urler.html
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

I used a jib furler on my DS II

Postby Roger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:18 pm

I used a jib furler from Annapolis Performance Sailing. The two parts were under $100 and I had to add a turning block, clam cleat and my own endless line to complete the system.

The DS I and II both have a roller furling already on the boom for the mainsail. You will need either an end boom sheeting arrangement or a reefing claw to make the system work.

To furl the sail, simply pull back on the boom which allows it to roll on the gooseneck, slowing wrapping the mainsail around itself. Reef down as much as you want, then releast the boom so that it slides forward locking its postition on the gooseneck again.

It is not the most ideal system as the system tends to bag the sail which gives it really poor sailshape.
Roger

Mainsail Furling DS2 Rotating Gooseneck

Postby cotuitds2 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi--old post so I hope that you are still out there. The pin on my gooseneck is square so can't spin. Do you (or anyone out there in DS land) know where to get a replacement that would spin.

I'd like to be able to detach the mid boom mainsheet fiddlehead and then roll the mainsail up around the boom. If it works, I am thinking about having a piece of sunbrella sewn into the bottom of the sail so that it makes a cover like is done on a roller furled jib.

Thoughts my good people?
cotuitds2

Re: Roller Furler on DS1

Postby hsumralljr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:52 am

On DS with original style boom/gooseneck, you'll need to pull the boom away from the mast to disengage the square section of the gooseneck from the boom. The fixture is spring-loaded, and designed to keep the square section in the square hole in the boom end.

Regarding putting a patch of sunbrella across the foot of the sail, when you roll the sail around the boom the foot (and sunbrella) will be inside the roll.
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Re: Roller Furler on DS1

Postby Alan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:08 pm

It sounds like you probably have one of the goosenecks Herb described - they were stock on a lot of Daysailers, including my 1980 DSII.

If you need a new one, D&R marine sells them, here:

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR116

But at least the photo will give you an idea of how they work.
Alan

Return to Day Sailer I Only