Identifying old Day Sailer 1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Identifying old Day Sailer 1

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 1998 1:00 am

I have a fairly old Daysailer that I am trying to determine the approximate year of manufacture for. The serial number plate was removed sometine in the past and the molded in hull number is unreadable.

My boat has wooden seats, a "double transom" (for floatation I suppose) with a 1 inch drain into the cockpit, an external outboard mount, the deck is molded to look like planking, the gunwales have cam cleats mounted on small blocks and there are jam cleats in the gunwale itself. There is also a small air filled floatation chamber in the bow. The halyards are rope,
and are routed internally in the mast.

Thanks for any information any one may have.

P.S. I have looked at the daysailer quarterly, and have not been able to get an accurate date from the information describing different model years.

David Britton (dlbritton-at-lucent.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 1998 1:00 am

From what you discribe its very early model maybe somewhere between sail number 100 and 500. Is your mast tapered at the top?

You might find this chart interesting.
<A HREF='http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm'>http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/articles/dsbuldrchrt.htm</A>

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 13, 1998 1:00 am

If your DS I has a number molded into the transom on the starboard side, it was most certainly made sometime in the 1970's or '80's as the Coast Guard requirement for a "Hull Identification Number" didn't come in until somewhere around 1973-74. Prior to that time most O'Day boats had a metal plate inboard. If you have the original sails the number may give a hint, though numbers didn't match hull numbers.

The last two (ie: right hand) digits of an HIN are normally the year of manufacture. I have been told that in the early days the dealers had an option to post the year digits when the boat was sold; I have seen a number of '70's boats with those numbers scratched into the gel coat although the rest of the numbers were molded into place.

Bob Cavenagh (cavenagh-at-dickinson.edu)

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 11, 1999 12:00 am

This message is for David Britton,

David the boat you described is very close to mine. Mine is hull number 3590, sail #374. I just completed restoring/repairing it. Now it's time to rap up this 7 yrs process. I now putting the rigging back, and I would like to keep as close to the "original" set up as possible. Would your have any pictures, or be willing to share how yours was rigged. From your describtion ours are alot alike. Anything you could offer would be greatly apprecaited.

Rob Reeves (Robr1011-at-EV1.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 05, 2000 1:00 am

I just purchase a 1983 Spindrift Daysailer 1. Do they have a web site?.........Thank You

Mike Lareau (mlareau-at-lucent.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 06, 2000 1:00 am

This is the Spindrift Daysailer One web site. The Spindrift Daysailer One where made from same molds as O'Day had used. Spindrift was the manufacture of the Daysailer One at that time. Now the Daysailer One's are manufactured by Cape Cod Shipbuilding Company

Check out this hull history chart:

http://www.convergant.com/daysailer/art ... drchrt.htm

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only