Caulk around coaming?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Caulk around coaming?

Postby Clyde » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:31 am

I have just fabricated new coaming around the cockpit - left about 1 1/2 in. above deck so we'll have to see how this works out on the fanny when hiking out. Has anyone caulked the area between the coaming and the deck? I realize it isn't much of a splash guard but I'm thinking it might keep the interior dryer when the boom tent is covering the cockpit. Might prevent any surface rain or water from dripping in. Comments please.
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

caulk

Postby kokko » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 am

I would use the peelable caulk, although I do not think it is necessary. The amount of water will be minimal compared to what will normally find it's way in with a boom tent.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby algonquin » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Most boom tents extend beyond the coaming but I can see your concern. If your tent design doesn’t fold over the outside of the hull caulking will help but most boom tents do allow water in.

I am with kokko on this. If you need to, use a peelable caulk and use only what you need to get the job done. I wouldn’t use any caulk labeled as adhesive. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

coaming caulking

Postby Clyde » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks to both of you. Will use peelable caulk. Might help a tad.
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

Postby GreenLake » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:13 pm

For another option, you can use closed-cell foam weatherstripping. That will fill the gap and keep the splashed water out, but should not trap any moisture. It's adhesive backed, which holds it in place while you re-mount the coamings, but after that, it's held in by the pressure. I figure it's the cleanest to apply and the easiest to remove and redo when I need to take my coamings off again sometime in the future.
Last edited by GreenLake on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kkearns » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:28 pm

I believe that some sort of sealant between the coaming and the deck will be essential to keep water out. The original seal was a rubber strip with a little curled lip or bead at the top. I still have the original strip on my 1965 DSI and I carefully preserved it when I took the coamings off two years ago to strip and varnish. I preserved it because I did not believe then that I could find something comparable in a hardware store. Since then I have seen comparable weather stripping material and [I think] there have been discussions threads on this site giving advice on where to buy them.

Kevin
kkearns

Postby Kevin F » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Car fender bead is very similar to I believe the original material. The link below is not the best representation, but get the idea across. It was used on old cars between the fenders and body

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C-C10-1215
DS 1 #3451
Kevin F

Postby kkearns » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Yes, that is exactly the way the original looks. This appears to be a very nice solution to the problem. Mine was applied with a flexible adhesive to the fiberglass with the lip facing outboard. Then the wood coaming was laid up against it and screwed into place.

Kevin
kkearns

Return to Day Sailer I Only