keeping water out after lowering coaming

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Measures Up has the openings in the the transom, but Michael has said he does not like the fact they are square. The corners are exhibiting stress cracks. A better way to have done that would have been to make the openings oval.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:41 pm

[post deleted]
Last edited by TIM WEBB on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:05 am

TIM,

I for one think that the DSA is awesome and generous for providing this forum for free!

I don't race. However, I can come on this forum and ask advice on how to make my boat go as fast as possible (which I love) and get advice from national champions for the class. How great is that! The other great thing about this forum is that no matter what your level or your problem, people will gladly help.

Bob's comment did have a :-) at the end. Which I interpreted as, you cut your comings down and now deal with that with bailers. I feel that most of the back-and-forth in this thread has been with good humor. Maybe an appropriate response to Bob's comment would've been... and people with rescue boats! ;-)

We're all here to have fun with our boats!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:27 pm

When I was at the Wooden Boat Show in Mystic last week I stopped by Chesapeake Light Craft. I noticed this seat foam and think I will get some for making my coaming and side deck pads. The 3" foam might work perfect for the outside the coaming pads, as well. http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/b ... -foam.html

They indicate that you can sculpt this foam so getting a more elegant shape, as Danny suggested, should be possible. It even seems like the water channels that Green Lake was talking about should be possible with this stuff.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:55 pm

K.C. Walker wrote:TIM,

I for one think that the DSA is awesome and generous for providing this forum for free!

I don't race. However, I can come on this forum and ask advice on how to make my boat go as fast as possible (which I love) and get advice from national champions for the class. How great is that! The other great thing about this forum is that no matter what your level or your problem, people will gladly help.

Bob's comment did have a :-) at the end. Which I interpreted as, you cut your comings down and now deal with that with bailers. I feel that most of the back-and-forth in this thread has been with good humor. Maybe an appropriate response to Bob's comment would've been... and people with rescue boats! ;-)

We're all here to have fun with our boats!

You are absoultely right K. C.

... post deleted.
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Had a longuish upwind slog over the holidays "to get some ice cream". About 8-9 miles. Nice winds, some chop on the more open passages. Enough passengers so we didn't need to hike, but still good boatspeed.

Not planing, but boy did we appreciate the coamings! We were joined by another boat of similar size but no coamings or cuddy, just triangular spray deflectors - no comparison.

Just depends.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only