DS 1 taking on water

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS 1 taking on water

Postby TimD » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:57 pm

Over the summer I had my DS1 on a mooring, while I had to work, I had to have my wife out to bail it everyday. The boat would fill with 2-3" of water every day, until she was relieved on the weekends.
I suspect the leak is coming from the centerboard area. The area in question is not on the centerboard handle side but further up on the otherside underneath the cuddy, where there is a gasket fitting 1.5" dia with rubber gasket & a brass fitting with a T-stop in it.
Is anybody familiar with this kind of fitting?

Also, I had the hull interior re-gel coated earlier on in the season, the chap that did the job, mentioned puddling of water coming up from the centerboard area, even after being in the shop for some time. Any thoughts on that?

Please & Thank-you
TimD

Postby algonquin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:45 pm

You didn’t mention which era DSI you have. By what you described there is a thru hull fitting that was installed on the floor in the cuddy ?? This was not a fitting that came with your boat but was probably installed by one of its owners to drain the boat when it was on the trailer. It appears that the thru hull needs to be serviced or replaced with a new unit or possibly removed and glassed over. If the seal on the fitting has been faulty for a while and as you mentioned the boat is left in the water for days there may be some water in the actual hull skin which seeps out when the boat is on the trailer. In anyt case it needs attention. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:01 am

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum. The gasket that you are describing is the drain plug for the foreword flotation tank. The keelson runs from the centerboard to the front bulkhead underneath the mast step and is connected through the forward bulkhead to the flotation tank. I would be looking for leaks anywhere between the front of the centerboard trunk and the bow.

If you pull out the drain plug and find water you should probably install an inspection port in the bulkhead and check to make sure that the flotation foam is not waterlogged. Also, you can buy new drain plugs at a marine supply store, such as West Marine.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TimD » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:19 am

Thank-you both for your reply. I'm going to go ahead & swap out the gasket and further inspect the forward bukhead and possibly put in a new inspection port.

The DS1 in question is a 1969, which I have gone through & have cleaned & have repainted earlier on this year, including sanding down & revarnishing all the wood work. She sure is a pretty boat.

I have sailed for many years & have had a sunfish & 2yrs ago purchased a DS1, time for a real boat. I have had a trailer custom fitted with a mast holder, making it much easier for travel & stepping.

I primarily sail on Damariscotta lake in mid coast Maine, which is an idealic setting and have encountered a couple of other DS's, when under sail.

Next year, I plan to do a couple of weekend excursions to Lake Sunapee & a couple of day trips to Massabesic.

Thanks to you all for inspiring & being a fountain of knowledge, this is a wonderful resource.

At some point, I'll learn to upload some pictures to share.
TimD

Return to Day Sailer I Only