Construction issues on old DS I boats

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Construction issues on old DS I boats

Postby CruisingCarolyn » Thu May 17, 2012 2:01 pm

My first post here. What are the common construction problems with DS I boats? I understand there have been a number of different manufacturers over the years. Specifically, I'm interested in learning more about the original DS Is and the Spindrifts. Thanks.
Sailin' since I was 5
CruisingCarolyn

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Welcome to the forum!

You should take a look at older posts first. There's a lot of material there covering quite a bit of ground, and many of the early contributors are no longer active, meaning that you won't get them to repeat that information now.

Look not only in the early posts here in the DS I subforum, but also look at "History", and "Repairs" for starters. If you add site:dsa.org to your search expression on any of the major search engines, you can use them to search within the forum. That often gives better results than using the "Search" button at the top of this page. (The commercial algorithms are simply better).

That should give you some idea of what others have already written about and perhaps also enable you to narrow down your questions a bit more - that would make it easier to help you.

Good luck! (PS: my own DSI was built early during the times of O'Day as builder, so I have no personal input on Spindrift to contribute).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby CruisingCarolyn » Fri May 18, 2012 12:12 am

Green Lake,

Thank you so much for the tips on how to find the info. I'll do my research and get back with questions.
Sailin' since I was 5
CruisingCarolyn

Ds1

Postby kokko » Sat May 19, 2012 9:59 am

What I hope you will learn is that the ds1 was a well-designed and well- built boat. There are a lot of them out there and many that have been sadly neglected. Truelove sat in a farm field for years before I bought her avnd restored her glory. She is a sweet sailer.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby ctenidae » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 am

Carolyn- to help narrow your search to people with the same or very similar boats, take a look at the spreadhseet I started some time ago (and folks have been updating, which is great) that's here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... DlreW5HRWc

If you haven't done so, you should fill in what you can on your boat, too. With the sheet, you should be able to find other folks who have the same manufacture as you.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

DS1 construction

Postby triathjohn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 pm

I have a 1984 Spindrift model. You can see a lot of pictures of various parts of my boat to compare to yours, on the photo link
1984 O'Day (Spindrift) Daysailer I 17'
# 11730
triathjohn

Return to Day Sailer I Only