Spindrift DS1 - - - new owner

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spindrift DS1 - - - new owner

Postby TC » Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 pm

I just bought an '84 Spindrift DS1. Owned by a retired Navy officer since new, always stored indoors and never seen salt water. Everything appears to be in great shape except maybe the trailer's tires, which have plenty of tread, but they are obviously OLD, so I'll replace them. My wife and I learned to sail several years ago in San Diego, but this is our first sailboat. Not a whole lot of water to sail on in Colorado, but this boat will be a good start and will fit the waters available. I have several questions for the members:

Are these boats still being built?
Where would I find replacement parts, if I find something besides lines, rigging, stays, etc. that need replacing?
Any inherent problems that I should watch for as I put it in the water?
TC

Postby holstein » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 am

DR Marine carries many of the parts you may need, however they do vary from boat manufacturer to manufacturer, so confirm that the parts fit your model before ordering:

http://www.drmarine.com/categories.asp?cat=64

The daysailer is still built, but I do not recall the manufacturers name.

Bill H
holstein

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:00 am

TC,

Welcome to DaySailer sailing! These are great boats, and it sounds like you got an especially nice one. The forum here is a great resource. If you were to need parts you can always come here first for advice. Cape Cod Shipbuilding makes new DaySailers now. The DaySailer Association owns the molds and contracts manufacturing. However, there are only a few specialty parts that you would need from the manufacturer.

The boat is a pretty solid design and reasonably easy to maintain. You might want to check your flotation foam to make sure that it is not soggy. Mine from 1974 was fine but a lot of people have replaced their foam because it became soggy. This can happen from condensation as well as from leaks. Making sure that your trailer supports the boat well, so that it doesn't bounce the stiffness out of it is important. Because there is a large flat area for the boat to plane on its difficult to get the trailer set up so as to not flex this area, which is what softens them up.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for the tips, Bill and KC. I'll look at D&R Marine's website and check the things you mentioned. I'm going to rig it all up in my driveway today to see how everything fits, look closer at the fittings, lines, etc. The trailer appears to support the centerline of the boat well, but I'll check that closer.

The boat came with an outboard motor mount that's not installed. Is there a template somewhere that details where it should be mounted on the transom if I decide to do that later on?

Where would I find floorboards for it, if I choose to add them?
TC

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:16 am

The motor mount is probably aftermarket. The transom on my boat only has plywood reinforcement for the rudder and at the motor well. For your mount you may need to add plywood reinforcement on the inside of the transom. The boats are different through the years so I don't know exactly on your boat.

Because your boat has been in freshwater it's likely that you're standing rigging is all fine. However do inspect carefully that all your shrouds, turnbuckles, and chain plates don't have any cracks or corrosion. This one's from experience. I believed my previous owner that everything was fine. However, it had been in saltwater and I had a turnbuckle, that with casual inspection did not reveal a crack in the threaded portion, and it gave way, as did the mast.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TC » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:52 pm

The motor mount is an aftermarket item. I checked the rigginng today - - - no corrosion, no cracks, no rust. Found a few loose screws and bolts. Found some damage on the centerline ahead of the keel. The gelcoat is scraped off, showing the core, which looks tan against the blue bottom. Don't see any cracks from it; looks like a rock gouge. How would I cover that wound?
TC

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:04 am

It sounds like you're about ready to go sailing! Here is a decent article for the repair. http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/ge ... repair.asp

Because it's not structural just a gelcoat repair will be fine. You won't even have to be concerned about making it match, as you will be the only one that knows it's there.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TC » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks, once again, KC. The article is very helpful. I'll track down a repair kit and get the gouge fixed before I put it in the water. I have to redo the wiring connector and install longer safety chains, too. I've ordered new tires for the trailer........the ones that are on there are the original tires - - - 28 years old!
TC

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:25 pm

As the article mentions, Gelcoat typically requires a cover to exclude air during cure. For surfaces that are not too strongly curved, I've made good experience with somewhat stiffer plastic - the kind of plastic foil used to make photocopies for overhead projection works really well. It conforms nicely, but it resists dents and doesn't wrinkle.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TC » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Good tip! I have some of that plastic, so I'll use it! I've decided the scraps/bangs are from hitting the last brace on the trailer when recovering the boat, which is unpadded, except for the roller. I'm going to pad that cross brace and get some better side "guides" to help line up the boat.
TC

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:34 am

The stuff sold for padding docks works well on some trailers (depends a bit on how your cross brace is patterned).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby triathjohn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi TC. I just saw this thread.
I have an '84 Spindrift DS1 also. #11730. I have posted some photos on the photo page. You may want to compare some to your boat. It is a great, fast boat.
1984 O'Day (Spindrift) Daysailer I 17'
# 11730
triathjohn

floorboards

Postby Clyde » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:59 am

TC, in your first post you mentioned floorboards. There are pros and cons - the main con being the weight.

Take a look at the following http:www.aisol.com/daysailee/floorboards_for_a_ds1.htm

Don't trust the exact dimensions. I took a 4 X 8 sheet of cheap wallboard and made new patterns - similar to his but not exact. Made the "feet" again a lot of changes and then did the fitting and adjusting. When I was happy with the pattern for my boat I transferred the pattern to 1/2 inch marine plywood, stained and used umpteen coats of varnish. Came out beautiful and Is a little lighter in weight.

Also put wooden coamings which add a classic look to an otherwise sterile boat.
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

Return to Day Sailer I Only