Storage Space Ideas - #269 pre-date cuddy storage & shel

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Storage Space Ideas - #269 pre-date cuddy storage & shel

Postby acarson » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:30 am

DS #269 is headed back in the water on Pleasent Bay. Just purchased and can't wait to get Don Powers classic out there again.

My last DS was class #1997 (which if anyone has seen I would love to find, BTW).

My question...the "later" O'Day I's had storage space above the forward compartment and as well as "shelves" on either side. So you could keep your extra gear dry and store lines, tools, beer, whatever.

The older boats have none. Looking for suggestions - short of major glasswork putting in shelves (expense, weight, can't DYI) - for some simple storage. I've tried searching for sling nets but can't seem to find anything.

Any ideas?
acarson
acarson

Postby Scott Mulford » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:02 am

I'd go with the slings too.

Search for Nylon Gear Storage Hammock.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/S-D-67 ... mmock.html
Scott Mulford

Nylon Gear Storage Hammock

Postby Gus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:03 pm

I've been using a Storage Hammock that I opened up for the net and fix it under the cuddy with a shock cord holding it closed on the cockpit side. We have no shelves on our 1980 Spindrift. The nice thing about the $8.00 net is then you capsize everything will still be in the net and not be floating away when the boat is righted. Actually, I used two Nylon Gear Storage Hammock one for each side of the mast. The only things that I don't keep in the nets is anchor and bailing bucket ( five gallon size) and they are tied in with shock cords. We have been using system for more than twenty years and haven't found a reason to improve it. I have pictures but they are 1300 miles away on another computer and we won't be home until July.

Gus

Postby acarson » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and links. We'll try them out
acarson
acarson

Return to Day Sailer I Only