Maiden Voyage

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Maiden Voyage

Postby bobprohaska » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:14 am

I finally got the DS1 I purchased last year out on the water. She sailing AMAZING. I'm used to sailing Ensigns but the DS1 just felt natural. I put a bunch of upgrades into it before testing it out including new sails, new sheets, new halyards, new main/jib sheet controls. Here is a quick video from tonight:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2859588908143
Bob
Milwaukee, WI
DS I
Hull 6596
bobprohaska

Postby Scott Mulford » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:12 am

Looking good.

How does it compare to the Ensign?
Scott Mulford

Postby bobprohaska » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:33 am

Surprisingly it reminded me a lot of sailing an Ensign. That probably comes down to the big cockpit and form factor. The Ensign comes in at about 3000lbs so it's slow to get going and slow to heel. The DS1 on the otherhand moves! I was surprised at how much sail the DS1 carries. It feels stable and not overly tender as far as heeling. I felt more comfortable on this boat the first time out than all the times I was out on my previous SouthCoast 22.

I trailer it and the fact that I can rig it in under 30min and can sail away from most docks without a motor is HUGE! My other boat had a draft of about 6 feet with the keel down so you had to motor away from most docks before raising sail.

Think I made the right choice! Great boat!
Bob
Milwaukee, WI
DS I
Hull 6596
bobprohaska

Return to Day Sailer I Only