ID Hull Number

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

ID Hull Number

Postby Pierce56 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:29 am

I am posting for a friend who just bought a DS 1 in Richmond VA. He has no hull number plate anywhere on the boat. He is told it is boat No. 301 and has ordered new sails from intentsity with those numbers. We now have 8 boats in our fleet at CRYCC and this DS 1 is a little different then the other 5. It was boards blocking off the transom and side hulls. There is an access port in the center of the transom but it looks like an after market addition.
How can i confirm this Hull No? How old would it make the boat? What is the oldest DS1 active today? Does anyone else have these boards along the inside of their hull?
Pierce56

Postby Bob Damon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:57 am

I helped the owner in looking at this boat here in Richmond. As long as I have known this boat, the number is 301. The original plate showing the serial number and class number was probably taken off in a previous refurb. The boat was likely built in 1959 or early 1960. That version had the wooden seats and flotation tanks on the sides and stern. The inspection port was an addition. If you want to verify that no one else has 301, you can send an email to the class secretary, Brooks Measures, at DSA_Secretary@charter.net. and she has a list of all boats ever registered with the class.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Return to Day Sailer I Only