Rear drain plug

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rear drain plug

Postby Nosidam » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Here I am again. My DS1 has a very small drain on the transom but the problem I have it that it is not round. It has two side slots in it that prevent a "standard" plug from working. I get a constant small stream of water from it under sail.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
Nosidam

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:16 pm

You could always make it round with help of some epoxy (for example, MarineTexwould be great for that). Be sure to clean/degrease the surface before applying the epoxy. You could wrap your standard plug in wax paper or plastic foil (strip from a freezer bag) to help "shape" the epoxy - but careful, if the plug has ridges (in that case use some makeshift "plug").
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby holstein » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 pm

When I bought my DS-I, it did not have the plug for the drain.
The previous owner had it plugged with a stick with a rag around it :(

I could not find a new plug for the drain, so I removed the entire housing, and MarineTex'ed in one of those brass tube / sea-cock combos from West Marine.

Now I'm dry as a bone.

As an aside, I have a suction drain in my cockpit floor. I really didn't need the transom drain, and could probably have just sealed it up.

Bill H
holstein

Postby jpclowes » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:17 am

It sounds like you might have a Laser plug. If you go to APS website, you might be able to see a picture of them to make sure. (www.apsltd.com)
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Return to Day Sailer I Only