missing mastjack handle?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

missing mastjack handle?

Postby spierce666 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:14 pm

Greetings -

Excited new owner of a DSI 1966. From the manual: "You will find a brass rod called the mastjack handle taped to the centerboard handle. Place the mastjack handle in one of the holes in the big screw nut and with a counterclockwise motion, raise the mast just enough to take the slack out of the stays."

My mastjack handle is missing. Not sure what it looked like, was it just a simple brass rod? Brass rod with a handle? Can't seem to find a photo anywhere.

BTW, I don't have turnbuckles on any of the stays.

Advice welcome, thanks!

-Steve
spierce666

Postby triathjohn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi Steve
Congratulations on being a Daysailer owner.
I just bought my Daysailer in November and sailed it for the first time about a week ago. Mine is a DS 1 also but it has a keel-stepped mast. I have to pick it striaght up in the air and drop it down through a hole in the cabin top. In other words, it doesn't have any type of jack or jack handle. Do you know your hull number?
1984 O'Day (Spindrift) Daysailer I 17'
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Congratulations, Steve!

Here's what to do. Get a round "nail punch" which will be about 4" long and have the right diameter to fit (the handle side!) into the holes of the circular bronze nut. It will be sturdy enough for the purpose.

Make sure you lubricate your nut well. Grease will make a mess, so use a wax - I use bicycle chain wax. Without lubrication, you will fight the friction, and won't tension your mast properly. About 4 tuirns from when the slack comes out of the stays should get you into the ball park.

That's what I do on my boat. (If you are prone to losing things, get two, and keep one in your car, so you can always take the mast down when you get back).

PS: if you look around, you can find answers to many of your questions - I just answered the same one yesterday, it seems.

Oh, I see, it's buried a bit. Read from here http://www.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19343#19343
Last edited by GreenLake on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:08 pm

triathjohn wrote:Mine is a DS 1 also but it has a keel-stepped mast. I have to pick it straight up in the air and drop it down through a hole in the cabin top. In other words, it doesn't have any type of jack or jack handle.

The mast jack is typical of older boats from the 60s. I wouldn't be surprised if Spindrift had changed over to some form of turnbuckles instead.

The mast-jack is just a threaded 1" diameter pin in the keelson that fits a round hole in the mast foot. A circular nut rides on the pin and you can raise the mast foot with it until you have the desired tension in your stays. Basic tension would let you strum some low bass note on the stays, more for higher winds.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

missing mastjack handle?

Postby spierce666 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:31 am

GreenLake wrote:Here's what to do. Get a round "nail punch" which will be about 4" long and have the right diameter to fit (the handle side!) into the holes of the circular bronze nut. It will be sturdy enough for the purpose.

Thank you for the great practical advice - I won't worry about finding the original tool.
spierce666

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 pm

In the thread I linked, the other poster shows a picture of a home-built version of this tool.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ctenidae » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 am

I use an oil filter wrench on mine. I think the prior owner used something similar, as the "nut" was pretty chewed up around the edges.

Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Mast Jack Handle

Postby UCanoe_2 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:04 pm

That filter wrench looks like it could bite you!

My DS I came with a 5/16" x 4" stainless steel bolt for the mast jack handle. I keep it stowed when not in use with a plastic cable tie strapped around the mast.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby jpclowes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:07 am

I use a pipe wrench. But I also installed turnbuckles on the stays when I upgraded them a few years ago.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Return to Day Sailer I Only