hand crank jib tensioner?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

hand crank jib tensioner?

Postby rnmaine » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:49 am

Hi,

I'm a new owner of an old DS1 - '68, sails #907. It's in good shape, and I've done two shakedown runs so far. Both were epic amounts of fun. The DS Kool Aid has been drunk. I've asked friends to begin calling me 'skipper' - and my wife can't believe I've joined an online forum...

I've already learned a lot from you all, but still have a few questions. Well, a ton of questions - but I'll take them in turn.

It's obvious that the boat has been well cared for, and somewhere along the way it got tricked out for racing. I'm trying to figure out which of this hardware I need and which I don't. This is going to be a family cruiser. We don't have even have a spinnaker, and that's totally fine.

There is a brass hand crank mounted on the underside of the cuddy, aft and to port of the primary cleats at the base of the mast - right where it opens into the cockpit. It tightens or loosens a wire that runs forward under the deck and comes up by the forestay. It then attaches to the jib at a smaller grommet next to the primary load bearing link at the foot.

I understand how/when I would use this feature if I were looking to maximize the boat's performance in variable conditions on different tacks. But the crank and 2" screws (!!) that hold it in place are at forehead level for my daughters. I'm WAY more interested in them being able to come and go from the cuddy without fear of facial trauma, than I am in beating that other DS over there to the next mark.

So... Am I way off here? Can't I achieve suitable tension in my jib with just the halyard? I've not seen a rig like this on other DSs.... Much obliged for any insights. I'll hold the liquid wrench till I hear.
Thanks!
40 Waters - DS1, sail #907
rnmaine

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:09 am

I think you don't need this system. My DS1 doesn't have it. You could add some purchase to your halyard if you are worried about tension.

At some point, they do outgrow the cuddy. Mine "graduated" recently from needing nothing more than a playroom on the water to wanting an active part in sailing around the cans and dodging traffic.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rnmaine » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks, Green Lake! Your opinion is reassuring, especially since I promised my financial and social advisor that I'd ask before removing anything she describes as 'looking important'. My goal is for my future crew to build comfort and confidence at this age. If they ask me to reattach it before a race someday, I'll do so with a big smile and a lot of pride at how skilled they've become...
rnmaine

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:00 am

+1 what Greenlake said.

You don't need that amount of purchase even for racing. The national champions these days do use halyard tensioning devices to vary the tension on the jib while underway. I have mine set up with a 3:1 block and tackle setup on the top of the cuddy. It's fun but not necessary.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby rnmaine » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks KC. It seemed like a lot more than I'd ever need, especially since there's a winch on the deck for the jib halyard already. That proved itself plenty rugged as I did dry runs of stepping and breaking down the mast and rigging solo yesterday - and gave plenty of purchase and torque. Getting the crank out of the way opens up the cuddy really nicely too.

Shakedown run #1 was with a month ago with a knowledgeable buddy on saltwater. #2 was the whole family on a big lake two weeks ago. Sometime this weekend is #3 - the solo. These are such great boats!
rnmaine

Postby Lil Maggie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:38 pm

hee hee...the wife and I took our boat out today on Keoka Lake, ME; I hope you decided against your solo today...winds were crazy, shifty and puffs over 20 kts...we started out with jib and reefed mainsail; one gust over 25 kts later and we dropped the jib and continued on reefed main alone...we were close reaching at 8.2 knots at one point!....a little crazy for solo sailing...pick your days and you'll have fun.

I soloed yesterday afternoon on 5-10 kts and the breeze eventually died off on me around 6 pm; I sailed back to the dock with the spinnaker rigged as a genoa (foreguy all the way down to the jib tack)...managed close reaches at 1-1.5 knots...a little faster than paddles.

Anyway, good luck with your boat and don't forget to post pictures...and maybe we'll run into each other one of these days (I sail the NH seacoast and Long & Keoka lakes)
cheers

Mike J
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Return to Day Sailer I Only