Boom Falls Down on my DS1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby triathjohn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:58 pm

K.C. That's a good idea... Hmmmm
1984 O'Day (Spindrift) Daysailer I 17'
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby Lil Maggie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm

triathjohn wrote:
Yes Lil you are right. I could remove the clevis and cotter pins. and that might be acceptable but for two issues. 1. I don't think that the square peg and hole were ever permanently connected (I could be wrong). 2. The other setups I've seen have a slide that goes down into the sail track - no messing with the clevis and cotter pins. Ideally that's how I would like mine to work.
I think I will pursue that type of setup. Thanks for making me realize that I can use the clevis and cotter pin in the meantime if I'm willing to epoxy the "squares" together. I'll wait to see if I can use the slide-in gooseneck before I do any epoxying.
Thanks again.

John, you might be right, those two pieces may have been just pressed together in the beginning, and the PO may have chosen to remove his boom by prying those two pieces apart instead of removing the clevis pin, which, without having a latch or a set screw to prevent it from falling off, it would wear the hole in the boom end casting until there's too much play to keep the two pieces together....the thing to keep in mind is, you want your boom to stay put when you're out sailing, not fall off (that would be bad news for your sail, your crew and yourself. Good luck with that, and yeah, KC's is a good idea if you don't want to mess with cotter/clevis pins

cheers

Mike J
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:25 pm

you may have to pop off the end cap(s) of your boom for access. Not a biggie.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rnmaine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 am

A previous owner mounted a 2" eye loop on the forward aspect of my mast, about 6" above the line that marks the boom placement. I've only had my DS1 a short time, but this loop has been useful each time I've gone out.

My boom attaches with a slug that drops into a slot (technical definition). Once it's in the track, I lift it up a little bit, and tie off the downhaul to the eye loop. This keeps the boom nice and high, and let's me rig up worry free while the crew gets settled underfoot. Once the main is up I just switch the line back to the aft side and fasten it in the downhaul cleat.

Pretty good bang for the buck and time, 4 screws, and helpful while trailering too.
40 Waters - DS1, sail #907
rnmaine

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:25 am

rnmaine wrote:A previous owner mounted a 2" eye loop on the forward aspect of my mast, about 6" above the line that marks the boom placement. I've only had my DS1 a short time, but this loop has been useful each time I've gone out.

My boom attaches with a slug that drops into a slot (technical definition). Once it's in the track, I lift it up a little bit, and tie off the downhaul to the eye loop. This keeps the boom nice and high, and let's me rig up worry free while the crew gets settled underfoot. Once the main is up I just switch the line back to the aft side and fasten it in the downhaul cleat.

Pretty good bang for the buck and time, 4 screws, and helpful while trailering too.

a little off-topic but I think the ring you refer to's actual purpose is to attach a spinnaker pole to it like so:

what you are so cleverly replacing is the job of a sail track stop like this one:
http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR20-90

you may already have one there; the one on my boat had slid next to the downhaul cleat; a little liquid wrench on the screw thread and put it back where it belongs...no need to rig extra lines to hold your boom end/gooseneck in place while you finish rigging your boat

cheers
Mike J
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby rnmaine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Goosenecks I'll leave to the experts! It's the suggestion from the original post I was referring to: attaching eye loops on opposite sides of the boom to run a line/bungee around the mast to hold the boom in place securely, but only temporarily as the mainsail gets rigged.

The eye loop on the forward side of my mast does exactly this, but from the opposite direction. It is not the seat of the spinnaker pole, and is definitely a later addition. The factory-installed spinnaker pole mount is there, but this loop is double the diameter and sits halfway between the spinnaker pole mount and the tabernacle. It has served as an anchor in a variety of situations, and I'm yet to fetch my jib sheets on it. If I was going to mount anything in my mast, I'd prefer to put 4 screws in one piece that serves many purposes, than 2 screws in 2 pieces that serve only one purpose - but I'm a lot less confident in my metal work than you guys!

I will, however, raise up the sliding square boom block you mentioned, that'll definitely help - thanks for the advice!
40 Waters - DS1, sail #907
rnmaine

Postby triathjohn » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:40 pm

... and thanks for the input rnmaine
1984 O'Day (Spindrift) Daysailer I 17'
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 pm

@rnmaine - if you are flying a non-standard spinnaker (and if you're not racing under class rules, you might well do that) then the location of the spinnaker pole mount can be too high - there's a good chance that something like that was the reason for the PO adding an extra ring. Or he could have wanted a whisker pole mounted lower, or any number of other reasons.

Drilling fewer holes is always good. :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby brucybaby » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:41 am

Intriguing! Very neat racing setup! Jeez, with all those ropes around you to adjust, how to you ever manage to crack open a beer and eat a sandwich? LOL. I've got the boring old slider assembly on mine. Standard fare O'Day set up. Looks like you have an 'old style' Selden spigot and toggle goose neck assembly. The newer setup uses a small pin that can actually clip into the boom receiver rather than a square peg.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-947-selden-ding ... parts.aspx

They use these a lot in RS200 and RS400 dinghy's. Here's a link to how they handle it.

http://www.burghfieldsailing.org/index. ... AGE_id=225

I'd actually opt for tying a rope from the mainsail tack around the mast, holding the tack forwards. Seems like it would be just as easy or easier to
to do as trying to insert and clip that pin between the boom and mast every time you set up, .... but again, just my own 'druthers'.

Good luck and happy sails!
Bruce
'71 Oday DS2-Dashaway: Hull# 25873 Class# 4842
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =slideshow
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A
brucybaby

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only