Boom Falls Down on my DS1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby triathjohn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 pm

I definitely need to post some pics. Mine has a permanent fixture connected to the mast that the boom attaches to.
1984 O'Day (Spindrift) Daysailer I 17'
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Pictures are always good.

On none of the boats I've sailed was the connection between boom and mast secured solely with tension from the sail. My expectation would be that a good set of pictures would allow us to help you identify what precisely went missing in your setup.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby triathjohn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:01 pm

jeadstx how did you put the 2 picturs in your reply. I'm trying to show my boom but can't get the pics in.????

I did manage to upload 2 pics to the photo section showing the boom and the mast connection. Under triathjohn...I think.
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby jdoorly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:11 pm

triathjohn your pics would indicate you have aquired quite the racing boat.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby triathjohn » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:42 pm

jdoorly wrote:triathjohn your pics would indicate you have aquired quite the racing boat.

Yes and it's quite intimidating. I get fouled in all those lines. Maybe someday I'll know enough to use the "extra stuff".
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby triathjohn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 am

GreenLake wrote:Pictures are always good.

On none of the boats I've sailed was the connection between boom and mast secured solely with tension from the sail. My expectation would be that a good set of pictures would allow us to help you identify what precisely went missing in your setup.

GreenLake Can you tell me how to post pictures in a conversation. I posted some in the photo section but I would get more results if readers didn't have to go to the photo section to try to find my pictures.
Thanks.
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby Lil Maggie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:27 pm

triathjohn wrote:
GreenLake wrote:Pictures are always good.

GreenLake Can you tell me how to post pictures in a conversation. I posted some in the photo section but I would get more results if readers didn't have to go to the photo section to try to find my pictures.
Thanks.

on the address bar of your pictures theres a number at the end preceded by a = sign, in your post text, write between brackets thumb=1421 and you get:
[thumb=1421] ,
1421 being the ID number of your picture and presto! it will post a thumbnail that directs you to your posted picture.

About your gooseneck, it seems to me that the proper way to remove the boom from the gooseneck hinge is by removing the vertical clevis pin and round cotter pin; the boom and the horizontal hinge included with the "square peg" should remain with the boom. Check the fitting of the peg on the boom casting for play; if any you might need a new one; if not you can probably epoxy that peg back on the boom casting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that particular gooseneck is not supposed to detach in that way

cheers,
Mike J
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby triathjohn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:29 am

Mike J Thanks for the photo info.
The gooseneck is riveted to the mast. It has nothing on it that slides down into the sail track, like a normal gooseneck would. The only item that moves (pivots) is the square peg. The peg fits snugly into the square hole in the boom-end but there is nothing to hold it in. I have to put the foot of the sail on the boom on the ground or across the boat, then I put the boom on the square peg and support the aft end of the boom with the scissors support. Then I carefully bend on the mainsail but usually the mast falls down a couple times during this process. My wife is usually pressing the boom forward to keep it from slipping off the square peg. It's a real pain-in-the-@#$. :cry:
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby Lil Maggie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Right so you see no set-screw or anything of the like that would keep that peg fixed to the boom end casting, correct?

I have the regular Dwyer gooseneck on my DS 1 (btw, you have a thoroughbred of a boat), so one of the race-heads might be better at helping you out, but it would seem to me that once that peg is in the boom casting it shouldn't come out, not easily anyway, and to remove your boom you should do it via the vertical clevis pin/round cotter that holds the actual gooseneck (the U-joint & peg) to the hinge. I'd try wrapping enough teflon tape to that peg and ram it in the hole as far as it goes, or like I said earlier bond it with liquid metal (epoxy), a pretty drastic and butcher-like thing to do but effective
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby jeadstx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:07 pm

triathjohn,

The way I post pictures is to put them up on Photobucket. Copy the image from there and paste it into the message.

Your boom set up is deffinately different than mine. Seems like there should be a way to pin the square peg to the boom.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:13 pm

+1 for what John said. That is, I use photobucket and I think pinning the square peg is a good idea.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby triathjohn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Lil Maggie wrote:Right so you see no set-screw or anything of the like that would keep that peg fixed to the boom end casting, correct?

I have the regular Dwyer gooseneck on my DS 1 (btw, you have a thoroughbred of a boat), so one of the race-heads might be better at helping you out, but it would seem to me that once that peg is in the boom casting it shouldn't come out, not easily anyway, and to remove your boom you should do it via the vertical clevis pin/round cotter that holds the actual gooseneck (the U-joint & peg) to the hinge. I'd try wrapping enough teflon tape to that peg and ram it in the hole as far as it goes, or like I said earlier bond it with liquid metal (epoxy), a pretty drastic and butcher-like thing to do but effective

If I epoxy them together then I can never take the boom off.
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby Lil Maggie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 pm

triathjohn wrote:

look at your picture carefully
[thumb=1421]

right above the square peg there is a riveted or fixed pin (vertical movement) hinge; between it and the part that's riveted to the mast there is another hinge (lateral movement), this one, instead of a riveted pin has a clevis pin with a ring-type cotter pin on the bottom end; remove that cotter pin and push the clevis pin upward to remove it...that is the way your boom should separate from your mast (provided the "square peg" remains attached to the boom end casting)[/u]
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby triathjohn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:27 am

Lil Maggie wrote:
triathjohn wrote:

look at your picture carefully
[thumb=1421]

right above the square peg there is a riveted or fixed pin (vertical movement) hinge; between it and the part that's riveted to the mast there is another hinge (lateral movement), this one, instead of a riveted pin has a clevis pin with a ring-type cotter pin on the bottom end; remove that cotter pin and push the clevis pin upward to remove it...that is the way your boom should separate from your mast (provided the "square peg" remains attached to the boom end casting)[/u]

Yes Lil you are right. I could remove the clevis and cotter pins. and that might be acceptable but for two issues. 1. I don't think that the square peg and hole were ever permanently connected (I could be wrong). 2. The other setups I've seen have a slide that goes down into the sail track - no messing with the clevis and cotter pins. Ideally that's how I would like mine to work.
I think I will pursue that type of setup. Thanks for making me realize that I can use the clevis and cotter pin in the meantime if I'm willing to epoxy the "squares" together. I'll wait to see if I can use the slide-in gooseneck before I do any epoxying.
Thanks again.
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:47 am

For someone that is racing and using a high purchase vang, this gooseneck would be a better choice, as it is more heavy duty than the slide in variety. You could run a bolt through your boom end and the square peg to secure that in place and then use a quick pin (the pushbutton variety) as your vertical hinge pin. You can find those pins at APS on this page, at the bottom. http://www.apsltd.com/c-230-ClevisPinsQ ... Dings.aspx
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only