Think I'm going to have to sell 28 Cents

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Think I'm going to have to sell 28 Cents

Postby ctenidae » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Sadly, for a combination of reasons (potential job change, Sandy-enforced relocation, 2nd kid coming, etc etc), I'm about to put sail #1114 on the block. We weren't able to even put her in the water last summer, and it's unlikely we'll beable to next season, or probably the one after that, either.

I'll put a full ad up in a bit, but just wanted to come in and fish for sympathy!
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Re: Think I'm going to have to sell 28 Cents

Postby kokko » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm

I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps you can find a long term storage solution or a boat share with another sailor
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:48 pm

There's wisdom in both. Selling now and restarting the adventure when the future looks brighter. But also weathering a dry spell by storing the boat for a bit (if you can find a place to do that for free).

There's some value in the boat that you can realize by a sale (more than 28 cents) but on the other hand, it's also not as much as for a big boat - I don't expect you can actually live off such a small amount of "capital" for any extended period. However, I can see why you would want to make sure it's not a drain on your finances either (so no paid storage).

You were fishing for sympathy, but, a little bit, I suspect, you are also fishing for opinions to help you rethink, or validate, as the case may be, your decision. So, here goes:

I bought my DS when the second kid was under way. It proved a nice way to give the mother many summer afternoons of peace by herself. So, that first season, it saw a lot of use. :) The DS is a great boat to sail with small kids - if done prudently.

Later, there were some years where the boat hardly made it into the water (too busy with work and/or family). I believe three times per season was the lowest count. All I spent on the boat was money for a new tarp. But afterward, I was able to ease back into regular sailing (and maintenance) without the need to first go shopping for a boat. It was nice to not have to start at square one, and to be able to get value out of the initial repairs and, in my case, trailer restoration, instead of loosing all in a sale. (Hard to get your money's worth, other than by enjoying the results yourself).

That would be my take on this question, even though I appreciate that everybody's situation is different.

There's one situation where I would counsel you to sell and get a different boat, and that is if you find a group of people to sail with (against) and need a different type of boat for that purpose. (Disclaimer: I have two boats now, for that reason, and because my original purpose for having a DS for pure day sailing hasn't changed - but that's not a solution that I would recommend - it has it's own complexities). Nothing is better than sailing, except sailing with a group of good friends.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Scott Mulford » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:50 am

WARNING, WARNING

CODE RED, CODE RED

Don't do it! You need that boat. Buy a big tarp. Just knowing that it is out there will get you through some of the long dark nights of child rearing. You don't get rid of the boat AFTER shanghaiing a decent crew. Wind < 10 knots, low chop and the kids will have a wonderful time in that boat. I just had the best summer of my life towing my 8 and 6 year old children around on a boogie board and playing pirate. If you love sailing you already own the perfect boat for a family. You will give up a lot of things by doubling the amount of lunatics in your life, but just knowing that boat is out there will let you chair sail anytime you need to. And you will need to.

Perish the thought of selling that boat. You just can't do it to your second born.
Scott Mulford

Postby navahoIII » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:28 am

I'm with Scott on this one. Keep her and keep her covered if she won't be used for a while!

From my own experience, it helps just to know she is there even when she gets little use. You can always steal a minute or two to 'check up' on her, see how she's doing --- and dream of being on the water while you are "messing about" with this or that. And, she'll reward you for it when you finally have the chance to sail her again! Do not abandon her -- she has a sole, after all, and nurtures your dreams!
navahoIII

Postby ctenidae » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:32 am

You guys are making it tough for me! The biggest rouble is that 2 of the three likely places I'll be for my next job aren't very Daysailer compatible. Boston and Manhattan aren't great for small boat sailing, I think. If I stay in the Greenwich/Norwalk area, there's some hope. What really really bugs me is not so much giving up the boat, but losing access to the water overall. I'm sure I can find a place to store it cheap enough, but it's likely to be years before I can use it again, and that's the tough part.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

ctenidae

Postby kokko » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 am

Contact the fleets up in the New England Region. Maybe they can help.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby navahoIII » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Don't know about New York, but Boston has pretty good sailing right on the Charles River at , I think it's called, Community Sailing. I believe you can keep your boat there too but am not sure. Contact them.

Boston harbor also has good sailing. Boston College, a powerhouse in college sailing, uses the harbor as its home base. They host regattas there, as do Tufts, Harvard and MIT -- I think.
navahoIII

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 pm

It's OK to store your boat, but keep an eye on it, if you do.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Salty Dog » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:43 pm

My DSII has been in storage for 10+ yrs. I'm dragging it out and going to start sailing it soon.
I'm sure glad I did not sell it. It was this site that got me all fired up about my boat again. I did not realize there were so many othet people with boats like mine.
I did not know any history about O'day DS. All I knew was that I had a little, old sail boat in storage.

sd
Salty Dog

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Bummer to hear. :cry:

Sometimes life throws a bunch of changes/challenges at you all at once, and it can be pretty overwhelming. A lot of decisions need to be made very quickly, and they are usually based on the survival instinct.

Like others have mentioned, sometimes you go for long stretches without being able to enjoy the activity you love. For me it was about 20 years between boats/sailing actively. I found another activity I also enjoyed (and could make a living at), and pursued that. Never forgot about sailing tho. Sure, doubt I would have kept the boat I had back then for this long, but since The Red Witch got me, I'm sailing a lot more and doing the other activity (skydiving, although I still work in that industry) a lot less. I've also gotten married and have an almost-two-year-old daughter. My wife enjoys sailing, but is not really passionate about it. She loves tennis, and believe me, you do not want to be on the business end of her serve! And that's cool. As for our daughter, well, let's just say I can't wait to take her sailing for the first time! But the conditions will have to be perfect, because I SURE don't want her to be scared or afraid or anything ...

Bottom line: the wind's not going anywhere, just like gravity will still be there if I ever decide to jump again. There will always be sailboats to be had. Unless 1114 has some special significance to you (passed down through the family, customized by you for your particular needs, etc.), if you need to sell, then sell. Otherwise, hang on to the dream dude ... :D
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby 68commemorative » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Did you end up selling it? If not, I might be interested, I am in the metro west part of Boston and I have a 68 oday. I just pulled mine back from a friend who had it for nearly ten years. Please send me a photo.
68commemorative

Postby ctenidae » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:45 pm

68commemorative wrote:Did you end up selling it? If not, I might be interested, I am in the metro west part of Boston and I have a 68 oday. I just pulled mine back from a friend who had it for nearly ten years. Please send me a photo.

Sorry- didn't see this post, sold her yesterday. Sad to see her go, but it's too a good guy and a good home.
One less thing to sit in the back of my mind, at least. Since our daughter was born two weeks ago, it's just that much longer before I have viable crew. Hope I don't forget how to sail before one of the kids is old enough to crew!
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

ctenidae

Postby Sailor Chlud » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Just saw this thread and was wondering - did you ever move? If so, Manhattan? The reason I ask is if you relocate to NYC you can keep sailing - at the Manhattan Sailing Club. They have a fleet of J-24's and are a very friendly club. Dues are reasonable, and they do all the maintenance for you - just book a boat and go sailing in NY harbor. Great alternative to ownership, and even to supplement for those whose boats are far away or can't get crew.

Full disclosure: I was a member for years until I moved out of NY, and the commodore is an old friend of mine.

They have the best clubhouse in the city - the Arabella, and a floating bar, too - the William Wall. check it out on : www.myc.org

Happy sailing!
John Chludzinski
DS1 #4101
Spotswood, NJ
Sailor Chlud

Postby PeteVandall » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:26 am

Hi everybody,

I don't know if people are still on this thread but I was the one who bought 28 cents from ctenidae! He is a great guy and has been very helpful since I bought it.

I have never sailed this boat, and would love to know any advice on operating/maintaining it.

Any "musts" or "must nots"?

Thanks!

Pete
PeteVandall

Next

Return to Day Sailer I Only