DSIII rudder on a DSI??

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DSIII rudder on a DSI??

Postby TIdaysailer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi All,

We lost our tiller/rudder off of our DSI this summer after an unfortunate capsizing. I found a DSIII rudder/tiller for a reasonable price. I realize the two boats have different systems from the mfg, but does anyone know if the DSIII rudder/tiller will physically work on a DSI or DSII? I don't know if the gudgeon and pintle are spaced the same, but other than cosmetics, they look very similar. I should note that I'm looking at this virtually over the internet and can't inspect the item in person.

Thanks everyone
TIdaysailer

Re: DSIII rudder on a DSI??

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Not sure. I think the '3 has a different gudgeon arrangement? I'd think as long as the rudder head has pintles and the hull has gudgeons, and the diameters and spacing are the same, it would work?

I'd get very specific measurements from the seller, and compare them to what you have, and go from there ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer I Only